Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Math where is it taking us?Are we justified in studying it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vedaprabhu

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! all

First off ,am not a anti math person I love math for what and how it is but
I just had a crazy idea flash across my mind..thought I should share
that with you all!!

Now isn't the whole system on which our present technology is standing
filled with mathematics??

Math itself is built on axioms.
We build on our axioms and reach near the truth or somewhere near to
it.Right?
Now how far can math take us to reveal the ultimate truth (whatever
that is!!)
true that math has helped us build missiles, explore universe ..but
will it be the language to unravel the truth?math itself is built on
axioms..the basic number sequence and the numbers,prime numbers and
blah blah ... that are wrought from it..yielding to our
theorems,proof,etc.etc...Now that means Math will never reveal the
truth to us...Is there a new language developing that could reveal the
truth to us?Does logic rest
on maths?

Now if there are any civilizations out there in the universe that know
a far advanced way of unravelling the nature and its mysteries...would
they ever be bothered to look into us ?our primitive system of maths
compared to their language....

.......just like we won't give our smiles and hates or share our
things with the insignificant say....the fly that now sits on my comp
screen.I don't bother what it does!!

You all getting me? Are we not getting lost in our pursue of truth
using maths...perhaps
that explains why we (insignificant creatures)haven't been visited by
aliens...hee...hee

one of my crap ideas .......!@!
Seriously,now what do you think??

Re: Math where is it taking us?Are we justified in studying

As you said math is a language and with it you can say true thing, nothing at all or bulshit. Also i agree that the math is dependent on the axioms its built on. so when the axiomes are false the all thing isnt right and this happen from time to time. BUT there are thing making us belive we are going the right way and discribing true things maybe even universal trueth. one example is the amazing euler furmula:

e^ix = cos(x) + i*sin(x)

regards
mayyan

math has proven itself well till now .... when it blows we'll search for something new :D

whatever we do we cannot beat nature which has created our minds and added some limitations that u cannot think how ur brain was created.
so the only solution is do lot of experiments till u reach a value acceptable
but the truth is it's just a compromise...
the more we get into things like this(exploring things) we gain a sense of truth that's wat people call as ubnormal....

well this is not a crazy idea my dear friend,this is an intricate question that drives one into tizzy.but lets look at it this way.suppose u see a bird,how do u make out that its a bird only.perhaps u hav some sort of visual perception that makes u figure out that what u see is a bird.this perception is framed out of ur experiences and of course ur intelligence.
there is no explanation for the assertion that the creature u see is a bird and not an animal.thats the way maths goes.now it depends how u percieve it

Math is just a tool.
We can not say "our math is correct" or "our math is incorrect" because actually we invented it by ourselves.
And all math base is about words like "let say that line is ...", or "let say that the complex numbers are...". It's just an abstract tool.
But it's very useful, because in termas of math we can describe all we can see around. So, if we can describe from time to time - we think that our world-model is fully described with math. But it could be not so easy ;)

By the way, there are some discrepancy between math.
You can learn it in special cources about higher math.

Mathematics contradicts itself. Otherwise why do we have deterministic and probabilistic as well like quantum mechanics and relativity.

( if they originate from so called truth it really should not be so difficult to merge them.

It looks as though when you are nearing light speed you gain towards infinite mass, you never gonna achieve it .

Is truth like that.)

Are we missing something in trying to understand the nature.

And why do we pursue it in present form if it seems to be defective.

Is there an alternative to math, not the different forms of math like vedic math.

Hey, may be we have to dig into what really Aristotle was trying to say (just kidding)

we need mathematical manipulation to provide a picture of our nature hiddens

i think it depends on how much maths is involved
it's maths for engineering
not maths for maths

but sometimes i feel it's too much math than my stomach can handel

( if they originate from so called truth it really should not be so difficult to merge them.

It looks as though when you are nearing light speed you gain towards infinite mass, you never gonna achieve it .

Is truth like that.)

Hey kumar1968 you have a point man!!

E=MC2 of Einstein..
Whenever I come across this equation I think why does einstein consider
only the speed of light as constant?

Hi vedaprabhu.
It is with our limited intellect that we see everything.
We try hard to break through.
Math is logic. Logic that is applied to understand how things happen. Not why. If I may say, the numbers that we know are symbols assigned to quantafy what we see in the universe. The phenomena are there and once we are able to see them we give them names and numbers.
and we are not justified in studying math because it is math that keeps us alive. and math balances the universe. Yes. we can find the equation that defines the universe mathematically. I'd love to add that Math is everything and everywhere.

Math is everything and everywhere..Its True..but it is the way to find the truth?? It is the language which can express the nature completely?? or let me put in this way...It is possible for us to get the full meaning of nature?? be it through math or any language...

Math is everywhere..probably that might be the problem..barring us from knowing things...There is a single truth the nature wants to convey..we furcated it...and lost somewhere in the middle..now trying to know where all these is started from and wat it really want to convey to us...

We are conceiving that humans are superior and he/she is the only being who can find the truth...wat if as vedaprabhu said aliens are more intellect than us and ignoring us for our ignorance...but i have a small impulse in mind..wat if those adept aliens actually speaking with animals in our planet...with whales..with birds...the language we dont understand..

But in my perspective..math is more expressive than anyother language we have in hand...(hoping to see a new one soon....)..there are many unanswered question in this universe, hope to find answer we need a new language...that a human mind can understand...

its a tool for everday life

Maths is not only a tool but a tool within a tool with unlimited (I assume) tools that span into the distant horizon. If one solution does not resolve a problem than another completely new solution or an derivative of an existing solution may be used to resolve issue and somehow where you started and where you end up all hooks together.

This is the beauty of maths, it leaves you with a feeling that some how there is alway a solution to a problem. i.e. somebody without any arms and legs it leaves you with a feeling that "Bloody hell, I'm somehow going to walk" just havent worked out how to do it yet :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.