Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Matching in Microstrip array antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haris_Amir

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!
I've designed a 4 element microstrip array antenna at 3GHz. But I got a return loss of -24dB at 2.6GHz instead of 3GHz. Why is that? and What do I have to do to achieve -24dB return loss on 3GHz? Can anyone help me?

Assuming both your simulation of the patch on its own and the array are properly set up and run, this is probably due to inter-element coupling.

In this case, you either have to design the patches to compensate for this coupling, or suppress the coupling somehow.

Actually I'm new to this. Can you please give me slight idea about how to suppress the coupling?

Coupling suppression is still an active research area, as there's currently no great solution. Search "Electromagnetic Bandgap Structures" or "High Impedance Surfaces" for coupling suppression to see some of the more mainstream approaches.

Honestly, if you're new to the field, optimizing the patches in the array may be a more simple approach.

So, I should apply parametrics on Patch length, Width and inset distance?

Thanks a lot. That was really helpful. It worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back