Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mapping coefficient of continues transfer function to discre

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali_th

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
I want to map coefficient of continues transfer function to discrete with AVR. It means that I have the transfer function in S region and I need to convert it to Z region .I need the optimum algorithm that makes possible this work please help me.
Thanks

You need Bilinear transform in Matlab to convert some S parameters into Z parameters. It's straightforward.

Re: Mapping coefficient of continues transfer function to di

ali_th,
The 2 most commonly used mappings are the bilinear z transform (mentioned by FrankCh), and the impulse-invariant transform.
Bilinear z transform advantages:
. Does not suffer from aliasing
. Is scalable
. For filter design, it provides an attenuation
. characteristic superior to the anlaog prototype
Bilinear z transform disadvantage:
. It "warps" the frequency scale
. It does not preserve the phase characteristics
. or time response of the analog prototype
Impulse Invariant Advantages:
. No "warping": The attenuation charateristic
. closely matches that of the analog prototype
. as long as the frequency is considerably
. lower than the Nyquist frequency
. Phase characteristics closely match those of
. the analog prototype
Impulse Invariant Disadvantages:
. Not scaleable
. Suffers from aliasing
Google "bilinear z" and "Impulse Invariant" for more info.
Regards,
Kral

thanks Kral
I want to map the filter that the cut of frequency is 2kHz in minimum case. My sampling frequency is 100kHz with Analog Devise A/D. in this situation the Bilinear does not application. Do you have any suggestion for Impulse Invariant in optimum case?

ali_th,
The procedure is as follows:
Determine the s-domain transfer function of the analog filter prototype that you want to implement as a digital filter.
Replace every occurence of [s-pn] with [1-exp(pnT)Z^(-1)]
Where:
. pn represents a pole or zero of the s-domain transfer function
. T is the sampling interval
For example, a single pole low pass filter with a transfer function of K/(s-2.7) would map to K/(1-exp(2.7*1/100000)z^-1), assuming a sampling frequency of 100KHz.
Regards,
Kral

Hi,

I have a similar problem where I want to "map" an analog filter to a digital filter where both the phase and amplitude responses of the analog filter should be preserved (in the digital filter). In essence I want a digital "representation" of an analog filter.

For certain analog filter types for example elliptic, using impinvar may result in erroneous results. While bilinear may produce a digital filter that follows closely the analog filter (in-band) response however it will produce slightly different phase (group delay) mag response. Bilinear may also produce large errors in the digital filter stop-band response (compared to the analog filter response in the same freq).

Any comments?

ali_th,
Tigana123 raises some good points regarding the impulse invariant method to implement the elliptic filter. These comments also apply to the Chebyshev type 2 (Inverse Chebyshev) filter, or, for that matter, any filter that has real zeros in the stopband. Antoniou describes a modified impulse invariant method that overcomes the probelems of direct application of the impulse invariant transformation to these filters. For more information, see the following:
Ntoniou, Abdreas, "Digital Filters Analysis, Design and Applications.
Regards,
Kral

Added after 2 minutes:

Sorry; I had "finger blight" when typing the author's name. It is Antoniou, Andreas.

Added after 2 minutes:

Another point to keep in mind; because of the aliasing problem, the impulse invariant method can only be used for low-pass and band-pass filters. It does not work for high-pass or band-reject filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back