Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making signal delay and hardwire cost issue? Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

win3y

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody;

I wanna make some control signals delayed 10 or more than 10 clock cycle. I just know the way like this:
Code:
reg [Nbit - 1:0] control_1_delay,control_2_delay,control_3_delay...control_10_delay;

always@(posedge CLK ore negedge nRESET)
    if (!nRESET)
        begin 
                control_1_delay <= 0;
                control_2_delay <= 0;
                control_2_delay <= 0;
                control_4_delay <= 0;
                control_10_delay <= 0;
        end
     esle 
        begin 
                control_1_delay <= control_signal;
                control_2_delay <= control_1_delay;
                control_3_delay <= control_2_delay;
                control_4_delay <= control_3_delay;
                control_10_delay <= control_9_delay;
        end

And the result is that the "control_10_delay" signal is delayed by 10 clock.

But this way makes hardwire cost increased signigficantly.
Is there any other ways can solve this problem?

Many thanks.

W3Y

If you want a synthesizable code, you can have a counter, and it's increased by clock.. When counter reaches the limit you can give your input to output..

If you don't need a synthesizable code; you can have

repeat(10) @posedge(clk); (1)
control_out = control_in;
#10 control_out = control_in (2)

Something like that...

Ilgaz

Ilgaz said:
If you want a synthesizable code, you can have a counter, and it's increased by clock.. When counter reaches the limit you can give your input to output..

If you don't need a synthesizable code; you can have

repeat(10) @posedge(clk); (1)
control_out = control_in;
#10 control_out = control_in (2)

Something like that...

Ilgaz
Something misunderstood here. I wanna output signal to be delayed by clock. But your way just takes input at posedge clk by some clockcycles, but does not delay it.

Anyway, thank you for reply.

W3Y

win3y said:
Ilgaz said:
If you want a synthesizable code, you can have a counter, and it's increased by clock.. When counter reaches the limit you can give your input to output...
Something misunderstood here. I wanna output signal to be delayed by clock. But your way just takes input at posedge clk by some clockcycles, but does not delay it.
W3Y

win3y, if you wait for 10 cycles after seeing a transition on the input before letting "delay <= ctrl;" then it will be 10 cycles later. i.e.

Code:
last_ctrl <= ctrl
if (ctrl != last_ctrl)
  counter <= 1
else if counter < 10
  counter++
else
  delayed <= ctrl.

Unfortunately this only works if the control input can be guaranteed to never transition faster than once every 10 cycles. Otherwise you will "deglitch" pulses that are shorter than 10 cycles and they will not show up at the output.

Note that for a delay of 10, you still need 6 flip-flops (1 for edge detect, 1 for output, 4 for counter). Your original way only needs 10, and works for the short-pulse case. So unless you need tons of these, or you're doing this for N >> 10, not sure why you feel that this is "expensive".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back