Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTspice tolerance analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello i want to know if i can perform tolerance analysis with a third party subcircuit in LTspice.

E.g. say i have GCJ21BR71A106KE01L capacitor 10uF i want to apply tolerance, along with acutal model from the manufacturer duing simulation. Is it feasible?

Applying tolerance is just setting a variable for value of an ideal capacitor. Capacitor model contain maybe an ESR and ESL, I don't understand why 3rd party model is required for this? Do you mean S-parameter file you want to simulate with LTSpice? That is not possible.

Murata is providing a SPICE ladder model for frequency dependent impedance, I presume an approximation of measured S-parameters. The datasheet only specifies a general tolerance of +/- 10%.

ku637

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

if only the capacitance is of interest you can vary its tolerance (±10%) and maybe DC biasing effects by the .step command. This allows a comparison with the ideal nominal values.

BR

DC biasing is actually the dominant effect for capacitance variation. But that's a large signal rather than tolerance problem.

ku637

DC biasing is actually the dominant effect for capacitance variation. But that's a large signal rather than tolerance problem.

I agree, but as this effect is not considered by the Spice program, it should be taken into account if one is performing a tolerance analyis by means of the expected applied DC voltage. Especially as the DC biasing can have a more significant effect than the stated initial tolerance.

ku637

Almost simulation design support, but with other name: AC/DC sweep.
In this case you can sweep any parameter. And output you will see multiple wave form with each parameter step level.
LTspice support this:
1638002809712.png

with LTspice is not easy to use this function, Psim is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.