Not open for further replies.

droseman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am attempting to simulate a flyback power supply using LTSpice, I am using coupled inductors to simulate the transformer and a series diode and capacitor across the secondary to remove high voltage spikes.

I am doing a transient analysis .tran 0 100u 0.1u, but when I add the diode on the secondary, I get Analysis: time step too small, and only around 6us of the 100 us span gets simulated. When I remove the diode, I get the whole 100us span.

What could be the issue with this diode which halts the simulation?

NB I can't post netlist or schematic, but it is a fairly conventional flyback converter.

Thanks
Dave

I have found LT Spice to be fairly unreliable and seen similar problems. Try adding a small resistor in series with the diode and/or inductors and see if that helps. Make sure you don't have perfect inductors with no resistance - that can cause infinite voltages/currents.

Keith.

Re: [SOLVED] LT Spice - Analysis problem : timestep too small

I've fixed the issue which was causing my simulation to crash.

I changed the ABSTOL VOLTOL and Gmin values to 2 magnitudes less and I got a successful simulation which was approximately what I was expecting. I suspect that my circuit was on the limit of complexity for finding a solution, as making small changes could make the simulation fail again.

Thanks Keith for your assistance

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…