Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LT Spice - Analysis problem : timestep too small

Status
Not open for further replies.

droseman

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am attempting to simulate a flyback power supply using LTSpice, I am using coupled inductors to simulate the transformer and a series diode and capacitor across the secondary to remove high voltage spikes.

I am doing a transient analysis .tran 0 100u 0.1u, but when I add the diode on the secondary, I get Analysis: time step too small, and only around 6us of the 100 us span gets simulated. When I remove the diode, I get the whole 100us span.

What could be the issue with this diode which halts the simulation?

NB I can't post netlist or schematic, but it is a fairly conventional flyback converter.

Thanks
Dave

I have found LT Spice to be fairly unreliable and seen similar problems. Try adding a small resistor in series with the diode and/or inductors and see if that helps. Make sure you don't have perfect inductors with no resistance - that can cause infinite voltages/currents.

Keith.

Re: [SOLVED] LT Spice - Analysis problem : timestep too small

I've fixed the issue which was causing my simulation to crash.

I changed the ABSTOL VOLTOL and Gmin values to 2 magnitudes less and I got a successful simulation which was approximately what I was expecting. I suspect that my circuit was on the limit of complexity for finding a solution, as making small changes could make the simulation fail again.

Thanks Keith for your assistance

--dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back