Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ARM] lpc2148 controller is continuously getting heated. want to know the reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopi the king

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai,

i am using lp2148 development board from NSK electronic. seems from two days before while i switch on the development board it started heating. i remove all the connecting and give power supply alone to the development board that time also it getting heated. micro-controller is working perfectly. i can burn a program and can execute but the micro-controller is getting heated very high.

i want to know the reason ????????????????????????

thanks in advance

Hi,

Cannot find the board you mention, perhaps you can provide a link to itas there seem to be several designs under that code.

When you say things are getting warm, assume you mean some chip is getting hot .

Which chip is it and if you place your finger on it, how long can you keep it there before its too hot to hold ?

Some chips , particularly the voltage regulator do give of some heat particularly if driving a load such as a lot of leds etc.
However with no real load I would expect thing to only get slightly warm.

Also give details of what is powering the board, a PCS USB port or a separate power supply

hi,

the link given below is the development board.

**broken link removed**

1. i can't keep the finger more than 20 to 30 seconds .
2. it is not a usual heating. it is unusual.
3. i didn't connect any wire. i just keep the board as it is and give power through adapter. gradually it start heating
4. i am using ARM7 LPC2148 micro-controller
5. in that board voltage regulator is not get heating from this we know that there is no short circuit in the board.
6. once i load the program and run. it is working properly. but it is getting heated ... don't know the reason.

Hi,

If you say the regulator heat sinks are not getting hot then agree a short seems unlikely.

Assume you are meaning the main IC in the middle of the board, if you can keep hold for 30 secs then its not that hot, but as I have never used that chip cannot really say what is 'normal' for it.

Hopefully another member who has a similar board can help or better still send a email to the board supplier and ask them what normal, as if it is faulty they should replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.