Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] lowest drain-source voltage for mosfet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectronicsRookie

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I run multisim, I noticed that MOSFET such as IRF9630 or IRF9510 has minimum operating voltage (drain-source) of 4 volts. I wonder if there is a MOSFET with lower voltage such as 2V. I am attempting to design a battery charger but in unique way such that the source - generator does not see the load except for the capacitor. The source generated range about 2V to 12V. The lowest range is important. BasicCircuit.jpeg

I attached the image here. The battery voltage is 1.5v not 9V.
So switch 2 is on and charging the capacitor and at the same time switch 3 is off and battery is not charge. Switches (mosfet or transistors in optoisolators) are turned on/off by external timer. Switch 2 is on and SW3 is off then SW 2 is off and SW3 is on. So that battery is isolated from battery. The generator does not like low resistance / impedance. However the battery is low impedance and so is high capacitance capacitors. I can get away with low capacitance capacitor. That is why I ask if anybody got experience with switches at low voltages that require low power to activate. So far I know of MOSFET, Optoisolators and darlington. My current problem with MOSFET is that drain source voltage is minimum 4v in order to operate (IRF9630 and IRF9510).
Thanks.

I don't understand what you mean with minimum drain-source operating voltage. I can't relate it to known MOSFET properties. Of course a minimum gate-source voltage is needed to switch the transistor on. But Vds can be as low a millivolts.

Could you explain how you have arrived at the conclusion that the MOSFETs need 4V from drain to source to work?

Keith

I think I know my mistake. Maybe the voltage limit was set by LED I used for testing. see image BasicCircuit2.jpeg.

I don't know if that circuit is something you built or just simulated but either way you should have resistors to limit the current into LEDs.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back