Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Voltage Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

scribbletojohn

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to connect a Wireless Radio Unit (12V) to a Bus battery and prevent battery discharge when vehicle engine has been switched off

How can this be done? any ideas would be appreciated.

I was thinking about a Battery Low Voltage Disconnect / Cutoff unit or a standard DC to DC regulator. I may be wrong but this is what i inferred through searching the web.

Thanks,

John

A voltage regulator IC is a DC to DC regulator. It draws an operating current all the time that you do not want. When its input voltage is about 2V less than the regulated output is supposed to be it does not shut off the output, instead it stops regulating and the output voltage is 1.5V to 2V less than the input voltage so the radio will still be drawing current.

Why don't you power the radio from a fuse that is not powered when the ignition is switched off?

Status
Not open for further replies.