Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low pass or band pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMurry

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
just need a confirmation.
is this a low pass or band pass filter?

It is neither a bandpass nor a lowpass, but a bandstop or notch.
(Assuming that the transfer function is shown rather than the attenuation function)

McMurry

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
wow. luckily i did ask. =)
anyway, for notch filter, the cutoff freq. is found with similar way like normal filter?
i.e. just check the frequency value at -3dB ?

McMurry said:
anyway, for notch filter, the cutoff freq. is found with similar way like normal filter?
i.e. just check the frequency value at -3dB ?

Yes, 3 dB below the value at ω=0.

McMurry

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
But you should know that in most cases the 3-dB-bandwidth is less interesting since the notch filter is mostly applied to supress only one spurious frequency.
That means, the specification could be for example: attenuate fz by at least 60 dB.

Yes, we usually interested in one frequency or narrow area around it. However, there is one important point: around this central frequency of bandstop filter group delay variations are huge and must be accounted.

It's a bandstop filter; don't look real due the 100 dB attenuation, but only a simulation.
Also the large bandwidth is very strange, usually bandstop are quite narrow.
This for my experience.

Mandi

I am sure it is a low pass, because it supress the high frequency components of the signal at the pi.

Do you know that there is a difference between low pass and band stop response ?

If the sampling frequency is 2π then you can only use the (0,π) band, in this case this is low pass filter, you can notice because the the (π,2π) band is a mirror of the (0,π).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back