McMurry

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
just need a confirmation.
is this a low pass or band pass filter?

It is neither a bandpass nor a lowpass, but a bandstop or notch.
(Assuming that the transfer function is shown rather than the attenuation function)

McMurry

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
wow. luckily i did ask. =)
anyway, for notch filter, the cutoff freq. is found with similar way like normal filter?
i.e. just check the frequency value at -3dB ?

McMurry said:
anyway, for notch filter, the cutoff freq. is found with similar way like normal filter?
i.e. just check the frequency value at -3dB ?

Yes, 3 dB below the value at ω=0.

McMurry

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
But you should know that in most cases the 3-dB-bandwidth is less interesting since the notch filter is mostly applied to supress only one spurious frequency.
That means, the specification could be for example: attenuate fz by at least 60 dB.

Yes, we usually interested in one frequency or narrow area around it. However, there is one important point: around this central frequency of bandstop filter group delay variations are huge and must be accounted.

It's a bandstop filter; don't look real due the 100 dB attenuation, but only a simulation.
Also the large bandwidth is very strange, usually bandstop are quite narrow.
This for my experience.

Mandi

I am sure it is a low pass, because it supress the high frequency components of the signal at the pi.

Do you know that there is a difference between low pass and band stop response ?

If the sampling frequency is 2π then you can only use the (0,π) band, in this case this is low pass filter, you can notice because the the (π,2π) band is a mirror of the (0,π).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…