Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low frequency oscillation problem in opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuel

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've modified a guitar pedal design to include a gain stage at the output. There was already an opamp buffer at the output, so i've just converted it to a single supply (9V) non-inverting amp.

I've learnt the theory of opamp circuits at uni, but we've never really played around with them that much in real life. With an input signal of 200mVp-p, and resistors set to give a gain of 10, the output is no where near 10 times the input. Have i totally forgotten a basic piece of knowledge from 1st year?....

In the end, i had to set the gain at around 50 to get any kind of decent amplification, but the output is still only about 500mVp-p...

Also, there was some high frequency oscillation happening at a certain tone control, which i fixed by bypassing the feedback resistor with a 0.1uF ceramic, but now there is low frequency oscillation at about 430Hz when i role the tone control right back.

Any ideas on the oscillation?

Feel free to bag me out for not knowing how a simple opamp circuit works, i should definetely know this stuff by now. actually it's probably sitting in the back of my brain somewhere never to be found again...

Thanks a lot

Sam

Re: oscillating opamp

Sam,
It's difficult to dagnose your problem without a schematic, but here goes:
The gain of an inverting amplifier configuration is Rf/Ri. Rf is the feedback resistor, Ri is the input resistor. The gain of a non-inverting configuration is 1 + (Rf/Ri).
~
Having said that, all bets are off if your circuit is oscillating. Here are some precuations to take against oscillation:
1. Make sure thet the connections to the op-amp inputs are short. In case of the non-inverting configuration, you may have to provide a filter to prevent inadvertent positive feedback from the output to the non-inverting input, especially if the source impedance of the input is high.
2. Make sure that the op-amp power supply connection(s) are bypassed by capacitors to ground.
Regards,
Kral

oscillating opamp

Have you biased the non inverting input to half the supply rail? Have you got a bias path for the non inverting input? 0.1uF sounds much too large for the feedback resistor, if it was about 47K, a typical value would be 33pF.

Yep, I've got the input biased at 4.5V. It's a 9V battery supply, with 2x680k resistors dividing it for the input. I have used a seperate 4.5V bias for the feedback virtual ground.

I spoke to one of my lecturers and he suggested sticking a small cap from the virtual ground to real ground.

I totally agree that the 0.1uF cap is too big, wasn't thinking straight.. I'll change it when i get home and see if that helps.

The low 430Hz oscillation is only present when there is a high impedance input to the opamp..

any other ideas?

Thanks a lot

Sam

Sam,
430 Hz is too low a frequency to be caused by spurious capacitive feedback to the non-inverting terminal. If bypassing the "phantom ground" network with a capacitor, as your instructor suggests, does not help, I would suggest monitoring the battery supply voltage with a 'scope. If an AC waveform shows up on the supply, then the internal resistance of the supply is too high. The solution could be as simple as replacing the battery with a fresh one. Also, bypassing the battery supply with a large capacitor may help.
Regards,
Kral

Thanks everyone for the advice. It turned out to be coming from the virtual ground. I stuck a 0.1uF cap from earth to virtual ground, and a 56pF cap across the 22k feedback resistor, and now it is working perfectly.

Opamps are much simpler on paper..

Thanks again,

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.