Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low cost wifi+gsm board

Status
Not open for further replies.

fa_a2z

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
before anything, i would like to make a few clarification:
1. i am new to this forum :)
2. i am not sure if this is the correct section, sorry if its wrong

ok,
i've just made a proposal to make a project which requires the integration of gsm module and wifi module and the requirement is it need to be low cost. i believe i have just dug my own grave since i just realize that the modules were quite expensive.
the project details were as follows:
1. the project aims at developing a system that controls a control panel using mobile phones.
2. the system need to be able to distinguish between different mode of operation (if its within wifi range, switch to that mode, otherwise use gsm mode)
3. the system will be developed for symbian and android platform.
4. the control panel consist of a microntroller, set of sensors and monitoring devices, gsm and wifi modules. the phone will be able to control all these things in a GUI environment.
5. tools to be used: c18 for compiler,proteus for simulation, eclipse for symbian applications.

the problem: anyone things that this is insane/out of track? if this project is ok, can anyone suggest a low cost method of integrating the modules in one board?

Make it simple. Use a gsm module with PIC micro controller and use a external WIFI module. Both can be connected to PIC and pic also control the switch. Sensors can be connected with PIC. To get some idea, See mickroE website for different modules like GSM, WiFI.

i've searched for that pic+gsm, its from olimex and its quite expensive. i'm guessing that making making a pic microcontroller board with external gsm and wifi module would be cheaper. but i'll continue searching for cheaper module

For the GSM module, you may look at the site as taroot suggested, although I have seen that it is quite expensive. Regarding the wifi module, I discovered flyport (and I used it), a WiFi programmable module, which combines the power of the processor (Microchip PIC24F) and connectivity (WiFi certified transceivers). I think the link is openpicus.com. Take a look and let me know.

sorry folks, i was in exam period and haven't found time to get here. anyway, I've found a friend that might be able to provide me with quite cheap modules. Looking forward to it. i'm still considering to use taroot's idea though, granted the budget is approved

For the GSM module, you may look at the site as taroot suggested, although I have seen that it is quite expensive. Regarding the wifi module, I discovered flyport (and I used it), a WiFi programmable module, which combines the power of the processor (Microchip PIC24F) and connectivity (WiFi certified transceivers). I think the link is openpicus.com. Take a look and let me know.

Quite a good site, With interesting projects too. I might try to integrate this in my projects :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back