Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Step Attenuator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmosbjt

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Requirement:

1. MESFET switches (note: NOT CMOS)
2. Steps 0.5, 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 dB
3. Small Thru insertion loss < 1.6dB (up to 2GHz) < 2 dB (up to 3GHz)
4. Bandwidth, 700MHz ~ 3GHz or even higher
5. GOOD step flatness < +/-5%
6. Fast switching time (90% settling) < 1uS

I believe this is a very challenge design, I am looking for a reference design, paper, or patent...

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

The design are possible with GaAs technology.

Tittle: Circuit topology for attenuator and switch circuits
United States Patent 6737933
or/ and
**broken link removed**

I have a very good design but might not be feasible for you.

This will work above about 1GHz, if you really need it down to 700 you could get it but I don't know how bad your insertion loss would be.

It is all GaAs,
look at the ma-com switches they work well from 1 - 6 GHz with .5 db - 1dB insertion loss. Then you have them switch to different resistive power dividers (very simple up to about 5 GHz).

for above 1GHz you could hit your mark on insertion loss but down to 700MHz would be difficult, if not for the switch times you could use electromechanical and this would be a very easy design.

Let me know if you want a schematic of this.

cmosbjt

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
b4bb4ge said:
I have a very good design but might not be feasible for you.

This will work above about 1GHz, if you really need it down to 700 you could get it but I don't know how bad your insertion loss would be.

It is all GaAs,
look at the ma-com switches they work well from 1 - 6 GHz with .5 db - 1dB insertion loss. Then you have them switch to different resistive power dividers (very simple up to about 5 GHz).

for above 1GHz you could hit your mark on insertion loss but down to 700MHz would be difficult, if not for the switch times you could use electromechanical and this would be a very easy design.

Let me know if you want a schematic of this.
Yes, please send it to me, thanks a lot

what about the linearity? actually I am designing a cmos attenuator for wideband using, the linearity is a big problem when high attenuation is need, such 36dB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back