Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Smith chart spiral clockwise locus proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

avihai

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I am looking for a formal proof for the spiral locus of an impedance when increasing the frequency.
Can anybody refer to somewhere it is proved?
Any book or formal suggestions will be great. I didn't find it in the basic microwave engineering books.

Thanks a lot.
Avihai.

read up on Foster's Reactance Theory.

But with metamaterials, I think the theory has some holes in it.

read up on Foster's Reactance Theory.

But with metamaterials, I think the theory has some holes in it.

Yes, this is exactely the hole that I look for.
for lossy transmission lines there is also that spiral mapping when frequency varies.

Last edited:

Yeah it spirals, but the radius of the spiral should decrease when the frequency goes up, or the line length increases

Yeah it spirals, but the radius of the spiral should decrease when the frequency goes up, or the line length increases

I know that this is happening. I'm looking for a formal proof.
Any idea?

Thanks.

I'm looking for a formal proof.
For which statement?

I know that some impedances show a rotation in s-plane, but not necessarily a spiral. Others have fixed coordinates or move linearly. So obviously you have to specify a class of impedances with the claimed behaviour.

For which statement?

I know that some impedances show a rotation in s-plane, but not necessarily a spiral. Others have fixed coordinates or move linearly. So obviously you have to specify a class of impedances with the claimed behaviour.

I'm looking for the proof that the impedance spiral radius is decreasing with frequency.
It happens for any impedance with losses.

How about a RL series circuit?

What do you mean?
I am not sure, but I think that it happens as well.
This is also written in many places as a fact but never proved by any book.

I would not call it a circle. For series R-L we have half a turn in the Smithchart.
That's right. I was referring to a RL-series circuit connected through a transmission line. The "spirals" previously discussed in this threads are only possible with additional delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.