Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for information about various FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mexxyoyo

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
which FPGA is better?

can somebody suggest some FPGA that u ever use is better,
i ever use XILINX in our development board...
i want to find more FPGA information in our new development bord.
i hope somebody suggest nice fpga to use.

which FPGA is better?

I hv use Xilinx before and I think it's still stand among the best among those vendors. Moreover, I can use DC-FPGA together with this and it's certainly alot easier.

Another vendor which you can try is perhaps Synplicity. Heard that it's catching up.

which FPGA is better?

There are mainly three brand of fpga in the market: Xilinx, Altera and Actel. Xilinx is very flexible for design implementation, but a little bit hard for new user. Altera is very suitable for new user and rapid application development. Since both Xilinx and Altera are based on sram technology, so Actel provides better performance with anti-fuse architecture that is very suitable for specific environment application.

Re: which FPGA is better?

I'm using Altera Quartus II 4.0 as FPGA IDE, this is a powerful and very friendly tool. It have integrated all than do you need withouth external tools.

After you have complete the basic tutorial you can know what possibilities it gives.

If you need develop big designs I'll think about HDL systhesis as Symplify.

I prefer Xilinx branch. I used to use Altera, it seems slower than Xilinx.
(both IDE and device 8) )

which FPGA is better?

I think Xilinx is well,and I use it all the time!

Xilinx is "the FPGA" company and has free set of tools that are easy to use and do a complete design suite. Xilinx FPGAs are also cost effective.

which FPGA is better?

xilinx FPGA is good for use . virtex2 is good serial and CPLD serials

If want develope some thing base on FPGA quickly and you are FPGA newbie, use altera. If want learn some ASIC design concept start from FPGA, use Xilinx.

For proper choice you need to consider both of the Hardware and Software, however Xilinx has good tools and also good FPGA and PLD.

Xilinx tool is powerful than Altera tool, I used xilinx FPGA and Altera FPGA,although I use stratix FPGA now.

which FPGA is better?

no better fpga, just depending on the designer.

which FPGA is better?

now i use @ltera FPGA,stratix. i am a beginer.i feel its is easy to use .

i think i will take Xilinx chip,i find many iformations about this,
many people suggest me to use this,because i ever use this,
i think it will be better,i ever try atera chip,in the end i select Xilinx,
my teacher think Xilinx better than atera.....so i make the choice
thank everybody help me......

Just my opinion :

1. Xilinx XC4000(E) is around the performance of Altera EPF8000.
2. But then the successful EPF10K series of Altera beats the XC4000 family, at least in the performance issue, resulted from the fast track connection structure of Altera.
3. After that, Alter is getting ahead of Xilinx for almost one year. Untill the Virtex was born, which again, Xilinx take the leadership of FPGA back from Altera. The success of Virtex, and the succeding families, has lasted for years.
4. In addition to the performance issue of FPGA chip, the tools are another concern. MaxplusII is thought as the key successful issue of altera for its one botton flow, in constrast with Xilinx's ASIC like text mode executables at the beginning. Xilinx then focused on enhancing its GUI, ex. M1, fondation, and now the ISE, while Altera has stayed at its MaxplusII style for long. Buf as the FPGA users become more like experts, the botton of the MaxplusII cannt fullfill them anymore, instead, Xilinx's complex design tools structure attracts people, just like its formal gate array structure of FPGA chips.
5. Since then, Altera far behind Xilinx for years in either way.
6. But Recently, things seem has some changes again. We have some 400k design, as usually running on the most high performance series Xilinx leading familiy(in the sense of process, and thus, the performance), the VirtexII Pro. The design could runs under around 24MHz on slowest speed grade of XC2VP20 part, according to the report. But, when we tried the Altera Cyclon/Stratix, still the slowest speed grade, the design can easily runs around 33MHz. I think if it is not that xilinx has made some conservation of the timing model, it must be that Altera did make a somewhat big step, of the newest FPGAs, the Cyclone & Stratix.

which FPGA is better?

i suggest you to use virtex2 devices of xilinx or altera's stratix devices. these are very flexible and they charge very little for their software tools. but actel charges very high for both software and hardware devices. and actel devices are not that flexible. xilinx and altera devices can be used even for dsp applications.

which FPGA is better?

In my opinion, I prefer Xilinx and Webpack with VHDL. It's better!

which FPGA is better?

i always use the Altera FPGA, because the Nios IP Core is the best one in the embedded processor at present.

I prefer Xilinx
for a wide set of programmable resources.
For example 3-state busses with a lot of sources (>20) is implemented much better in Xilinx than in Altera.
DSP applications are supported by Xilinx better as well.
Adjustable register delay SRL16 supports high speed registered data flow algorithms.
2-port RAMs of large volume is OK for different buffers and queys.
Newest Altera devices are also adapted to this applications
but at present they are absent .

which FPGA is better?

many factors to consider, chip price, chip resouce, time to market etc. And xilinx provide better tools than altera in the P&R tools. I prefer synplify+ise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back