Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for information about various FPGAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: which FPGA is better?

OK! This question has only one reply if you need high speed for you design. XILINX fpga s are the best choise! for example RocketIO technology is specific to xilinx can handle more that 10 gb/s on one serial link.
Read the attached .pdf file for comparison between xilinx fpgas and others in performance issues (or visit this page at:
**broken link removed**).
Note there is some comparison on altera website. Do not trust them!
You can compare yourself by reading their datasheets and appnotes ;)

Attachment deleted by davorin
You already upplied the link so
why you're wasting space server space here?

which FPGA is better?

I think Xilinx'FPGAs are suitable for most real design and they provide better performance than @tera's.

The Altera University kit seems to be a very good starter kit. Is this correct?

Hi,
In a project I was evaluating many FPGA based solutions from many companies. There I studied many products from about all of FPGA vendors including : Xilinx, Actel, Atmel, Cypress, Motorola, Altera and ....
There I found that xilinx with a wide range of project and seemless capabilities is the best solution.
In xilinx among many classes of product I suggest using Spartan-3 .
Kasra

u would like to try xillinx if u're planning a business in Mars :D
it's a very good "OPPORTUNITY" though!

which FPGA is better?

Hi
I prefer the Xilinx's product if you want verification
ASIC.

Lattice is another good choice. The EC/ECP is very cheap and fit for low cost application. But it has rather high performance.

which FPGA is better?

i vote altera ....
it is easy but software is not free ...

Stop this "I think xxx is better"....!!!!

If you think it is then also name a reason for that!!!!!
Otherwise it is just useless spam...

Agree with above opinion.
Xilinx and Altera devices have their advantages in separate or common areas.

So,depending on your design.

Being better or worse is not the first a good question anyway (I never tasted one :wink: )

First you need to understand your application. Some FPGA architectures could be used more efficiently for application X than others. To give some small and obvious examples: Cyclone FPGA's don't have distributed memory, so if you are planning to build a coefficient register for a DSP alike function, then you will consume logic. Xilinx's Spartan3 or Lattice's ECP devices however will be more suited for this.

If you need high speed design, you will probably select a Stratix or Virtex.

If a non-volatile high secure design is on top of your wishlist, you will need to think about Actel or Lattice XPGA

And so on.

So THE first parameter is to understand the application and build your wishlist out of the requirements. Then you can look around the different architectures available in the market, the limitations of the budget, the constraints of the company you are working for, the architecture you know best, ...

Simply. There is no best of FPGA.

Regards,

L

which FPGA is better?

I suggest Altera, I have used Max 7000, and migrate to ACEX1K 10/30/50.
Also I use XilinX also good, but Altera SW Maxplus2 and more Quartus, very simple for start.
Acex1K very large memory, & very fast, small problems, flash memory epc2 epc1 very expencive,
epc1441 for short programs
regards
maurizio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back