Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for information about Ultra WideBand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark-fox

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Ultra WideBand??

hi,

can anyone tell me about ultra wideband??

Re: Ultra WideBand??

Hi

Ultra wide band is not so new. this technique is used in RADARs in past. but today it finds applications in commericial communications.
Suppose you want to transmit data with a BPSK modulation. your pulse width will be equal to 1/bitrate.
What happens if you transmit them with narrower pulse and pulse period equal to 1/bitrate?
Your communication rate will not changed but the frequency spectrum will expand to more frequencies.
That is, your transmission power will not chnage but your PSD will decrease ( Power = PSD * BW).
So, your communication is more secure, and some electromagnetic properties of such narrow pulses( may be implulses) make this method so cool.

Regards

Ultra WideBand??

Probably this book can help ...
**broken link removed**

Last edited by a moderator:

nicleo said:
Probably this book can help ...
**broken link removed**
This link havn't existed now

Last edited by a moderator:

Circuit_seller said:
Hi

Ultra wide band is not so new. this technique is used in RADARs in past. but today it finds applications in commericial communications.
Suppose you want to transmit data with a BPSK modulation. your pulse width will be equal to 1/bitrate.
What happens if you transmit them with narrower pulse and pulse period equal to 1/bitrate?
Your communication rate will not changed but the frequency spectrum will expand to more frequencies.
That is, your transmission power will not chnage but your PSD will decrease ( Power = PSD * BW).
So, your communication is more secure, and some electromagnetic properties of such narrow pulses( may be implulses) make this method so cool.

Regards
hi,
can you tell me more about the DS-UWB digital baseband.I heard it is simpler than others?Thanks
regard

UBS was one of the options the US military considered prior to 1950 for spread spectrum secrecy use. This is described in the three volume work published by the Computer Science Press in 1985.

Ultra WideBand??

UWB is very hot topics, and as said befor it was used for military use (Radar) becouse of it's high bandwidth spectrum and high power [from 0 to 10GHz] so it can penetrate the walls, I remember that I download a video file nearlly 35MB about a UWB Radar devise, it's very cool devise.

But when we r talking about communication we must follow the FCC restriction about the very low power and spectrum of UWB [3.1-10.6GHz], many researchers said that UWB can reach 110Mbps in 10m distance, so we can use it in wireless home application like wireless playstation, DVD player,.....etc.

So expect to drop blutooth soon

bluetooth is almost dropped already by ZigBee .. the ZigBee can replace almost all the features of Bluetooth except the bitrate .. as it's of a low bit rate .. yet, the great advantage of it is that it's of very very low power consumption .. like a AA battery can run it for more than 5 years ! .. and it's very cheap also .. maybe one chip can be sold for around 1 (ONE) US Dollar! .. one more thing deserves mentioning is that ZigBee range can reach 300 meters effectively.

I have no idea about the data rate of bluetooth. But now the bluetooth SIG proposed a version 2.0 + EDR.

Furthermore, the group claimed that they are investigating to introduce the UWB technique to bluetooth at 2007. But I guess the backward compatible is a problem!!

how large is the bluetooth power consumption?

Is available some other pdf or even an article?

I am quite new to this topic.. having designed microstrip antennas... I say: "is it possible to split an UWB antenna into a number of integrated patch antennas working at different frequencies"?

Hope you think about my suggestion.

Regards

Lupin

>>I am quite new to this topic.. having designed microstrip antennas... I say: "is it possible to split an UWB antenna into a number of integrated fix antennas working at different frequencies"?

Ofcourse one of the techniques which is used in UWB radar is to use more that one antenna which each used for some frequencies. In other words since antennas are usually frequency selective and can not transmite all the frequencies with out loss, so we can use some antennas that every one is tuned for a specific frequency.

Ultra WideBand??

Hi.
The name ultra wideband is an extremely general term to describe a particular
technology. Many people feel other names, such as pulse communications, may be
more descriptive and suitable. However, UWB has become the term by which most
people refer to ultra wideband technology.
The question then arises as to how to spell UWB. Is it ‘ultrawideband’, ‘ultrawideband’,
‘ultra wide band’, ‘ultrawide band’, or ‘ultra wideband’? In this text,
quite arbitrarily, we decide to use the term ultra wideband. Our reasoning is that the
term wideband communication has become very common in recent years and is one
that most people are familiar with. To show that UWB uses an even larger bandwidth
the extra large ‘ultra’ is prefixed; however, both ‘ultrawideband’ and ‘ultra-wideband’
seem unwieldy, so we use ultra wideband. Many people may disagree about our choice,
even vehemently.We accept their arguments and suggest that time will show the most
popular choice for UWB.

Ultra WideBand??

Ultra wide band is usually more than 10GHz

There is exact definition of UWB given by FCC. Everybody can check on FCC web site. UWB is a kind of radio communication that use frequency spectrum 500 MHz or more, or have at list 20% bandwidth. Contemporary UWB frequency allocation is 3.1 - 10.6 GHz.

Actually there are many different way to create UWB spread spectrum signals. It may be pulse, continuous wave (CW), MB-OFDM or other kinds of communications. And UWB is the oldest radio communications. It was first demonstrate on May 7, 1895 by Russian scientist Alexander Popov. Several months later Italian entrepreneur Guillermo Markoni showed his radio experiments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back