Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for info about pSoc micrcontroller programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

taday

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pSoc micrcontroller

hi all!!

please, tell me where i can find information about it (architechture,programmer, programming language, compiler, example code... )

thanks in advance!

Re: pSoc micrcontroller

taday said:
hi all!!

please, tell me where i can find information about it (architechture,programmer, programming language, compiler, example code... )

thanks in advance!

www.cypressmicro.com

You can download PSoC Designer with programming help and device user's manuals: www.psocdeveloper.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=474
Also it is good to look at application notes, reference designs and PSoC forum.

Also lot of another usefull PSoC stuffs :

www.psocdeveloper.com

can anyone experiencing with PSoC comment on it and the difference between using PSoC and using microcontrollers?

Does PSoC have have a more novel approach than a normal controller? what are the good points?

PsOC from Cypress is new type of architectures called mix signal microntrollers .
it means that there is plenty on analog peripherals on top of the standarts digital ones that you find in a normal micro. The pSOC micro has the capacity to implement analog filters and analog amplifiers and then feed the signal to the ADC
This allows very integrated solutions requiring analog processing that otherwise should have to be converted to the digital domain and processed there ,requiring much more involving dsp components .
So basically
there are now:
1)Standart all digital microntrollers
2)mix signal microntrollers with just ADC and DAC capabilities
3)mix signal with a lot of analog peripherals besides ADC and DAC
4)and DSP microcontrollers with very few ADC or DAC capabilities
5)Probably in the future we will see DSPs with more ANALOG capabilities !
so depending of your needs you can try to find the component that fits.

PSoC microcontrollers have a lot of amaizing and dissapointing things at the same time...
Beside standard peripherials UART, PWM... you can have a lot of very usefull peripherials that have no other microcontroleller like lowpass, and band pass filters, amplifiers, hardware CRC16 and pseudorandom generator, PWM with deadband... and so on...It can work both on 3.3 and 5 V, with a different speed.... Hardware MAC.... DACDynamic peripherial reconfiguration. In such applicaations PSoC microcontrollers, are usually optimal.
There are lot of procedures that you dont need, and it can be a problem in beggining, like device configuration, with a lot of parameters... Different program versions, are not always compatibile...
Lot of theese begginig problems dissapear after a little time. After that you will be able to make programs more easily than with a standard microcontrollers...

i see...
how about costs? we can do both analog & digital processing in faster ways... should be more expensive?

pSoc micrcontroller

PSoC is really fascinating mcu.
could you tell me about their three parameters:
1- in how many mips do they works?
2- what is the total adc conversion time
3- and what about their prices. please compare with pic18 family prices (for example what is the price of the PSoC mcu whic has i/o number like 18f452-32k program memory 34 i/o-)

CISC processor type of PSoC microcontrollers have lot of instructions, with different adressing modes, that makes programming more easilycomparing to some RISC like PIC.
Another consequence of processor type is that not all instructions take same amount of time. For example nop operation takes 4 cycles, mov from 5-15, reti 10...
CPU speed is up to 24 MHz.
When you consider theese two things PSoC microcontrollers have aproximattely same speed characteristics as the other modern microcontrollers.
Price of few dollars is also in the same range.

Minimal ADC conversion time is 25us (200ksps) with SAR6 component, but it is only 6-bit ADC... ...
With a normal 8-bit ADC you can have speed up to 32kSpS, 12 bit up to 480sps.
Good thing is that you can use PGA, and configure references in a lot of ways, which allows a direct connection to a lot of different types of sensors, with a full input range...

Status
Not open for further replies.