Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for efficient 900-930 MHz power amplifier chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

biff44

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Efficient 915 MHz amp?

What would be your suggestions for the most efficient power amp chip at 900 - 930 MHz and 300 mW output power?

Re: Efficient 915 MHz amp?

It depends what modulation are you going to use. Some modulations require linear amplification and minimum phase distortion.
I am attaching info about PA efficiency (%) vs PA classes.

OK.
Because FSK is constant-envelope you can use a nonlinear PA.
For 300mW output power theoretically would be ok class C or E.

I am curious. You have a class E design that works at 915 MHz???

That is all very interesting. But I was hoping someone had an off the shelf part number chip that provided 55% efficiency.

biff44 said:
Good point! Saturated FSK modulation.

Hi ,biff44.
Can you give me some suggestion on modulation vs PA classes? such as ,GMSK, QPSK, 8PSK, AM, PM, FM......

Just in a general sense. Some modulation schemes allow a fully compressed PA to be used.

Some modulation schemes, like QAM have half of the modulation "information" in the amplitude part of the signal. So, obviously, if you compress the amplitude of the largest signals by 1 or 2 dB due to saturation, you can not send the data at all. Those types of modulation require you to "back off" the output power. I think I recall that 16QAM requires around 10 dB of backoff. i.e. you can only run the output power to the P1db - 10 dB level.

Some modulation schemes that you think are constant envelope, really arent. in QPSK, for instance, if you go from the 0 to 180 degree state, the signal actually goes thru the origin, ie winks out in amplitude inbetween states. You amplifier has to be able to handle that without lingering am to pm conversion, or you will have poorer bit error rate because the phase state does not arrive at 180 degrees, but something a little different until the PA settles out.

Some times you can send the data thru just fine, but for emissions mask reasons you have to back off a little to please the government. Overdriven amplifiers can generate 3rd order, 5th order, etc. adjacent spurious emissions.

Hope that helps some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back