Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for basic color graphics LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I cant seem to find a nice 2.5 - 3.5 inch graphics color display that does not comes with a shield as I want to interface it myself .
please let me know if you know any.
4D systems have few on their site but all are out of stock, funny thing is they are using the same displays in their other expensive shield version ..go figure.

thanks

can you recommend one that uses less than 4 bits and is easier to interface ?
I want to use it in my AVR project.

thanks

P.S: I am browsing through the displays and almost none has data sheet or any application notes. I would rely on your recommendation in this case.

Last edited:

If you are looking for a TFT LCD with a serial interface, SPI, I2C or TTL UART, then those lcd displays are not for you.

Try Googling "TFT LCD Serial" and you will find a myriad of available displays and suppliers, also the same search on eBay will produce a number of options.

Also, if you are located in the USA, then Sparkfun, Adafruit, Gravitech, Mouser, Digikey, etc are good possible sources.

By the way, both Mouser and Sparkfun carry a wide range of 4D Systems displays which are currently in stock.

BigDog

No, read the product page carefully:

Supports 8/16 bit parallel port, it is best to contact us before you buy,
you want a good tune, but also can be adjusted. Default send 16 parallel model.

Although the ILI9325 supports several different modes of operation, the control lines which determine the operational mode have already been selected by the design.

BigDog

ok so plan B then. I though about interfacing using atmega as a dedicated controller so can you recommend me an 8/16bit TFT that you have used ?
just want to use a device that someone has used and i know it would work.

thanks

I'm probably not the best choice to advise you on such a task.

I rarely incorporate a TFT-LCD into any design other than those with 32-bit ARM or MIPS microcontrollers and the only exceptions were those designs which utilized 16-bit microcontrollers with an integrated graphics controller for just such a purpose or a third party external graphics controller with a microcontroller.

Of course, it is certainly possible to utilize an 8-bit microcontroller to generate various primitives and basic bitmap text.

However, to effectively manage a TFT-LCD and generate the beautiful graphics at speeds we've all grown accustom to since the smart phone boom, implementation of a frame buffer is almost mandatory, which just that task alone requires considerable device resources in the form of RAM storage.

So, I'll let someone else recommend a TFT-LCD and its associated driver chipset.

However, I would suggest examining the available graphics libraries for the AVR/ATmega class of microcontrollers and take note of any resource requirements and recommendations for specific ATmega variants, TFT-LCD driver chipsets, interfaces, etc.

It appears the following library is one of the more popular at the moment:

**broken link removed**

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.