Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Looking for a Wideband 1:1 Balun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dincay

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for a 0.5 - 6 GHz 1:1 balun for converting differential to single ended. I checked digikey, mouser and farnell, however I cannot find any suitable part yet. Do you know a suitable balun?

Not so cheap, but go to buy this:
Picosecond Model 5310A BALUN 4Mhz-6Ghz
**broken link removed**

Reactions: dincay

dincay

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The term 1:1 balun possibly needs clarification. In the usual understanding it means 50 ohm differential to 50 ohm single ended. So you surely wont find a type equipped with connectors, because there are no 50 ohm differential connectors in use.

I am looking for differential input - single ended output 1:1 balun. Connectors are not so important, it can be SMT. And of course it has to have 50 Ohm input and 50 Ohm output impedances.

This is the 5310A Picosecond Lab product already sold on ebay:
**broken link removed**
The input impedance is 50 ohms. The output impedances of both the (+) and (-) coaxial outputs are also 50 ohms, so the differential output impedance is thus 100 ohms.

Thanks mister_rf but this balun has SE input differential output. I need diff input SE output. In datasheet the input and output ports are explicitly marked. So I don't think I can use it in a reverse way.

Also see the 5320 model.
**broken link removed**

Signal fed into the 50 Ohm input is split equally into two 50 Ohm outputs. One output is the same polarity as the input, while the other output is inverted in polarity. The 5320B has a fast 31 ps risetime and a bandwidth from 5 kHz to 11 GHz. The 5320B can also be used as an algebraic differential signal combiner and for back-to-back measurements of a differential DUT with vector network analyzers under certain conditions.
**broken link removed**

In datasheet the input and output ports are explicitly marked. So I don't think I can use it in a reverse way.
Baluns are reciprocal passive devices and can be always reversed.
Also see the 5320 model.
Unfortunately it involves a resistive -6dB power splitter.

1:1 wideband baluns with up to 3 GHz frequency range are e.g. offered by Anaren Anaren Xinger-brand subminiature baluns. I'm not aware of 6 GHz types, but they should be feasible.

Basically, a 1:1 balun is a piece of transmission line with high common mode impedance created by a ferrite core.

Reactions: dincay

dincay

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
check with macom. there are ETC series in macom for all RF applications.

Thanks FvM. In picoseconds web site it is stated they can be used bi-directional as you said.
Macom has wideband baluns but up-to 3 GHz only.

Honestly speaking, it's no clear to me, which 1:1 balun you have selected. I didn't find it at Picosecond pulse labs.

This one
**broken link removed**
Is there a problem with it?

Is there a problem with it?
That's the question I raised in post #4. In my understanding it's a 1:2 balun with 50 ohm SE input and 50 + 50 = 100 ohm differential output. If this is what you need, everything is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back