Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for 4/8-bit low power MCU for a battery application

Status
Not open for further replies.
one of the 4-bit & low power MCUs: W741E260 from Winbond, and it is very cheap.

cube007 said:
That is correct psubiaco. The uC should have a very low power consumption when the LED is off so the battery won't discharge.
When the LED is on the power consumption of the uC isn't so important.

by,
cube007

Wouldn't it be better to switch the MCU completely off when you switch the torch off? This way the MCU power consumtion doesn't matter even when you turn off the torch.

Hello Me,

for an easy handling I would like to use push-buttons instead of a on-off switch. I have never developed a battery application before, so I don't know to solve this without a device which is powered the whole time.

by,
cube007

You can use on/off push buttons

ME said:
You can use on/off push buttons

But with a on/off push button it is only possible to switch the LED on and off. And I would like to have more functions (e.g. dimming, ...)

by,
cube007

Look Elektor electronics - 11/2002 for LED Torch project project with PIC12C672.

frenki said:
Look Elektor electronics - 11/2002 for LED Torch project project with PIC12C672.

Here's the LED Torch article from Elektor.

ATtiny15L (8-pin DIP/SOIC) and ATtiny26L (20-pin DIP/SOIC) are 8-bit AVR RISC microcontrollers from ATMEL usefull for small applications where space and power-saving is very much required. Both devices have 10-bit on-chip ADC and PWMs.

Be carefull with the Nitron family of devices from Motorola. If you don't want to do anything fast would be OK, but you should know that it uses an average of 4 clock cycles per instruction so these devices are quite slow.

Katos

Read this from www.AVRfreaks.com
How can I reduce my standby power consumption?: **broken link removed**

Re: Looking for 4/8-bit low power MCU for a battery applicat

I'm sure that the msp430 is the best uC for this application. I use it for my Doctorate thesis.

Re: Looking for 4/8-bit low power MCU for a battery applicat

Hi,

Microchip has an application note on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.