Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

longterm jitter from SpectreRF's Phase noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

savithru

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
long term jitter

hello all,

What is the way of measuring/simulating the longterm jitter for an VCO/PLL.

I beleive the Eyediagram from transient analysis is a very bad idea of getting the Jitter values. Is that modelling is the only option left for us to know the jitter of a pll/vco?

Is that the phase noise simulation using the spectreRF can be used to measure the long term jitter.

In the direct plot option of the Phase noise simulation, What is that k stands for. Does choosing k=3000 to 4000 gives us the lonng term jitter?

kindly reply.
SavithRu

long-term jitter

there is a relationship between the Jitter and Phase Noise,
I think there some artical talking about this by harjimiri.

pll long term jitter

Dear dingjingfeng
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Ofcourse.. I agree that there is a relation. We can integrate the phase noise curve ( over the interested noise band) to get the jitter.

But I want to know that , the jitter we get here is of what type. I beleive it is Cycle to Cycle Jitter.

Can we get "long term jitter" from the curve?

Thanks & regards
SavithRu

Added after 1 hours 14 minutes:

Can any body upload the Paper by Hajimiri,

It will be iof great help from you...

define long term jitter

Jcc=square root of 2*Jp and
K cycles of long term jitter = square root of k*Jp

spectre rf jitter

Dear bigpop,

Thanks alot for the reply,

you wrote "K cycles of long term jitter = square root of k*Jp "

But I beleive long term jitter is that jitter which is accumulated over a long period. After, say20us, long time we shouild get the addded jitter ( ofcourse the -ve and +ve jitter over many periods may cancel each other).

I did not get this insight from your formula. Can you pls elaborate or give me the source of the formula?

Thanks & regards
SavithRu

Status
Not open for further replies.