Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Long range (at least 500m to 1km in rural area) with NRF905 RF transceivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltsharma

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing project to help rural people to control motors, water supplies of their farm remotely.
By some researchers I have found some modules
like,
1) NRF905
2) NRF24L01
3)SI4432
4)SI4463
Finally bought NRF905 for testing purpose. (**broken link removed**)
They said that it will communicate upto 1km range.
I don't know any of its features like sensitivity, Power, frequencies, and gains.Can i setup this with external antenna?.
Is it really works up to 1km range?
Thank you :D

A Friis Loss Calculator will get you started.. Line of sight is crucial without blocking or reflections from trees that cause Fading Loss.
Antenna gain helps a lot at both ends and every dB loss counts when near the threshold.

Thanks for the reply and informations.
what aspects all are required to achieve maximum range?.
The Specs od NRF905 are:
output power up to 10dBm.
sensitivity of -100dBm.
Included LNA antenna.

Any additional antennas like Yagi antanna can make range differance?

Thanks for the reply and informations.
what aspects all are required to achieve maximum range?.
The Specs od NRF905 are:
output power up to 10dBm.
sensitivity of -100dBm.
Included LNA antenna.

Any additional antennas like Yagi antanna can make range differance?

offcourse yagi can make difference because it is a directional antenna , but i guess you will lose this extra by making the wires and RF connectors !! (3dB each as i remember)
the next thing , donot trust such products if they donot provide datasheet with specifications regarding frequency , power , baudrate , line of sight range , non-line of sight range .

you are better by over engineering and buying a 2km transceiver so you can guarantee the 1km range , and in this price and size you are getting line of sight communication (in other words , the antenna should see each other nothing inbetween blocking them)

A trick : you can using put one of the antennas at the roof of a high building if their is obstacles in-between.

Hi,

What material is the water pipe?
Metal? Then you could try to use it as data line.

Klaus

A trick : you can using put one of the antennas at the roof of a high building if their is obstacles in-between.

Yah, that's what my plan is. Putting antennas at good height.
My confusion is, there are many types of antennas, which one to use?, what all the aspects i have to consider in when selecting?.

Hi,

If you want to buy one: Frequency and gain.

If you want to build your own: there are internet pages to calculate Yagi antennas, also there is free software around.

Klaus

I wanted to bring in a tv station 90 miles away. I looked at information about homemade antennas. The ARRL handbook was informative.

I chose to make a yagi type because it is easy to construct. It starts as a simple T-shape. By adding elements you increase its gain and directionality.

I made mine from two wood sticks and bare copper wires. Its dimensions were based on calculations from a book.

I believe it added a few dB to my signal reception.

finally ended up with getting 100m range with NRF905 module.
After the purchase I come to know, there is NRF24l01+ with PA (PowerAmplified) is there with long range.

However, Im going to buy new pairs modules.
1)NRF24L01 + PA + LNA Wireless Module : Promissing 1100Meters range with antenna provided by them.
2)**broken link removed**: Promissing 2000M range with spring antenna.

Now which one can I buy?. I don't want high data rates. Using Arduino for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back