Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lo phase noise + amplifier supplied with noise supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdc

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All.
I have LO with tolerable phase noise. Amplifier goes after LO, (look at the picture below) but Amp is supplied with noise supply at the band of 10Hz-100Khz. I have to know how amplifier with supplied noise
supply will become worse (iincrease) my phase noise at 10 khz from carrier, for a example.

(LO) at 6Ghz
|
|
(Amp) ------------- otput
+
| Noise supply |

As long as the supply noise isn't modulating the signal amplitude, it can't add any phase noise.

Hello
Thank you for your answer. I can check my amplifier to apply the carrier with known phase noise at the input and watch it at the output. Am i right?

FvM said:
As long as the supply noise isn't modulating the signal amplitude, it can't add any phase noise.

Power supplies add PN on the output signals even tough the large decoupling capacitors are used in practice and simulations.

Have to distinguish between phase noise and noise power.
What about supplying the amplifier with a battery, and after that with power supply, and measure the noise difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back