Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium battery stack voltage measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centmo

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I would like to measure the individual cell voltages of a 14S LiPo battery pack with high accuracy. I am currently using voltage dividers to accomplish this, but since the highest voltage is 14*4.2=58.8V, I need to divide it down quite a bit to sample it with the 3.3V 12-bit ADC in my MCU. High precision resistors are expensive, and I'd prefer not to have to calibrate the voltage dividers and store the offsets in Flash.

I have been doing some research, and it seems the better method for measuring cell voltages in a stack is to use an op-amp circuit (see attached image).

Now, the problem is that I can't find a suitable op-amp IC that can handle 60V. They exist, but are bulky and built to handle high current, and are pretty much all one op-amp per IC. Ideally, I'd want something like the TL431 (quad op-amp, cheap and small, up to 32V), but a version that could handle 60V. Any ideas?

If I can't find a suitable op-amp, I may consider the MAX14921 but it is quite a bit of circuit re-design to accomodate it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• op-amp.png
    op-amp.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 77

Status
Not open for further replies.