Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux: I cannot change permission atributes by chmod command w/ a root user

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I´m working on an Ubuntu based embedded system ( PCduino ), and I´m having problems to execute compilation on a GUI application ( QTcreator ), because it is presented a message box : "Error - Cannot create file XXXXX : Permission denied" during the MAKE process.

I must confess that I´m not an expert on Linux, and taking a look on the web, I found several variations of chmod command, which could change permission of the folder ( and its sub-folders ) and despite try a lot, no one retrieve desired result, holding original atributes.

In order to know if logged user was able to perform this operation, I typed whoami and as expected, gave root.

I presume that Ubuntu is not running as a super user - Is it possible ?

+++

Are you sure the partition to which the compilation process is attempting to write is mounted as read/write and not read only?

BigDog

Hi Big,

I solved the problem faster than I supposed :
The solution I searched on everywhere at the Desktop panel and I found on Ubuntu environment, this way :

FILE MANAGER (select desired folder) >> TOOLS|MENU >> OPEN_WITH_ROOT_USER|SUB_MENU (now can change permissions w/o errors)

Works as a charm !

+++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back