Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear regulator with very low ESR caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefton

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using a linear regulator (LM1117). For reasons that I will not go into here, I have to connect 3 caps (470uF each) to the output. The effective ESR of theses caps is less than 0.05Ω. In the data sheet for the LM1117 they recommend an output cap with ESR of 0.3Ω - 22Ω. I remember reading somewhere that if the ESR is too low there can be instability although I don't remember if it was for switchmode or linear. The data sheet specifies a minimum ESR value of 0.3Ω so I am worried about that. Should I connect a series resistance of 0.27Ω ?
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

With very low ESR the supply feedback system can oscilate .... the best is use capacitors with more ESR for respect the datasheet ....

leomecma

sefton,
See National Semiconductors application note AN-1148; the section entitled "ESR and Stability".
Regards,
Kral

Thanks guys. I checked that app note and it seems that I can't use an LDO here. Unfortunately I am stuck with the low esr cap - cannot change it.

ESR of capacitor is very difficult to estimate. For ur best application,u had better select the recommend capacitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.