like supercapacitor is there super inductors? and how does it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesthur82

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there anywhere i can get more information on this?

How would you define "super inductor" as being different from a standard inductor :?: - perhaps one with a very large inductance for its size?

The only special inductor I'm aware of is a superconducting inductor which has a pure inductance with no series resistance. But the available ones need to be cooled to cryogenic temperatures to achieve the zero resistance, and I don't think they are particularly small for their value of inductance.

Is there anywhere i can get more information on this?

I know that - in some cases - the active and artificial unit "FDNR" is also called "super-capacitor". The impedance of this two-opamp circuit is Z=-1/(D*w^2).
(Thus, it is negative and real).
In a similar way one could define and realize an active circuit (with two opamps) that has an impedance Z=-L*w^2. Such a circuit could be called "super-inductor".

Active inductors can be made to have a value of thousands of henries.

An active inductor can be constructed around an op amp and capacitor. A real coil would have to be large and bulky in order to have such a high henry value.

The active inductor provides the response of an inductor in the sense that it impedes a change in current flow.

It cannot create the 'kick' (elevated voltage spike) which a coil can deliver.

Active inductors can be made to have a value of thousands of henries.
An active inductor can be constructed around an op amp and capacitor.

Nevertheless, even a thousands-of-Henrys-inductor behaves like an inductor.
In contrast, the active circuit "super-inductor" (also called "frequency-dependent negative conductanc", FDNC) has an impedance that
a) is negative, and
b) is proportional to the sqare of the frequency (therefore: super...)

Nevertheless, even a thousands-of-Henrys-inductor behaves like an inductor.

Not quite. I'd think it can't store energy E = ½LI2. And couple it to another inductance. Or can it?

Not quite. I'd think it can't store energy E = ½LI2. And couple it to another inductance. Or can it?

Yes Erik, agreed. An active inductor as well as a "super inductor" never can provide electro-magnetic properties like a coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…