Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Library compiler and design compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitk3553

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All

In Logic synthesis, as we use Design compiler(DC).

But for conversion of logic library from .lib to .db, we need library compiler(LC).

So I want to confirm that LC is present in DC because we don't use any LC additionally, we just use DC????

Thanks with Regards
Amit Kumar

I don't know whether they require two license.
But in ordinary, we just invoke the Design Compiler and type the following commands to convert .lib to .db
dc_shell> read_lib io_wc.lib
dc_shell> write_lib wccom -f db -o io_wc.db

Best Regards,
PoLo

My point what is the need / importance of converting the .lib format to .db?

I don't know whether they require two license.
But in ordinary, we just invoke the Design Compiler and type the following commands to convert .lib to .db
dc_shell> read_lib io_wc.lib
dc_shell> write_lib wccom -f db -o io_wc.db

Best Regards,
PoLo

Thanks for reply

Ya thats right we perform the read,write steps as above. But I just want to know where is Library Compiler.Is it in DC????

Thanks for reply

Ya thats right we perform the read,write steps as above. But I just want to know where is Library Compiler.Is it in DC????

you can invoke your Design Compiler and check on the tool list shown on the top.
The tool list may includes HDL Compiler, DFT Compiler and so on.

In my case, Library Compiler (TM) is also included when I invoke the Design Compiler.
But I have never invoke the library compiler alone with other commands.

- - - Updated - - -

My point what is the need / importance of converting the .lib format to .db?

If you want to apply Design Compile for synthesis, the library format is .db instead of .lib
They are the same and can be converted.
Generally, the usage depends on other EDA tool.

Does that mean that DC does not read / parse / understand .lib or is a limitation to use .db only. In this case I would be curious why?

Does that mean that DC does not read / parse / understand .lib or is a limitation to use .db only. In this case I would be curious why?

its related to DC compatibility, DC is made only compatible with .db files in internal sharing means for internal operation format is binary i.e. .db, it can take input in VHDL, .lib etc. and can output in .sv, .svhd, .edf, but whole internal operation happens in .db.

Hmm.. thanks i was really not aware that DC is unable to parse the standard construct support file .lib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back