Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion replacement for FM1212 brick battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

buenos

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have a model vehicle that takes a 12v FM1212 brick sealed-lead-acid battery with F1-terminal contact.
Is there a Li-ion replacement available in the same form factor?
If the voltage is slightly different than it is not a problem, for example 10V-16V would be OK.
My problem is that when I am not using the model for 3 months or more, the battery dies and needs replacement, the max chargeability reduces to zero Ah. Probably a Li-ion or Li-polymer or even a Ni-Mh battery would last a lot longer than 3months.

LiFePO4 is a perfect replacement for 6 Ah sealed lead-acid batteries, but I'm not aware of an available form factor replacing the small 1.2 Ah type.

NiMH would be the next best choice, I think.

You can expect a fair lifetime of sealed lead-acid blocks if you don't store them in discharged state.

"if you don't store them in discharged state"
-the problem is that I might only use it once a year, and the standby circuits (maybe 1mA) will completely discharge the battery.
Would the NiMh die in these same conditions? What about LiPo? Do they all come with protection circuit built-in?

You didn't yet talk about standby circuits or 1 year standby time. In this case you would want to disconnect the battery...
NiMH can be expected to have considerable self-discharge, but isn't that sensitive to deep disacharge.

I have no full specification of LiFePO4 batteries. I assume that deep discharged should be avoid if possible.The charge behaviour is compatible with Pb batteries, they don't use built-in protection circuits,

the only problem with the standby is that it causes deep discharge that can damage some types of batteries. Before use I would charge up anyway, but I cannot charge an already dead battery.

OK, which type of battery can I leave untouched (zero-maintenance) for several months (with or without standby load)?

- Li-Ion with protection
- NiMH (if a certain lifetime reduction is acceptable)

Please consider that battery lifetime is counted in charge/-discharge cycles. So fully discharging a battery every 2 months will definitely reduce lifetime, and require recharge before using the device.

Every time I leave the system rest for a year, the lifetime would reduce by x%? That should be ok. I want to charge up maybe 1x-30x a year, and should last for 5 years.

How about charging a 4cell Lipo pack with a 2pin charger without a cell-charge-balancer?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back