Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-ion battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winnie Raghu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

My project is to charge Li-ion battery with super lift Luo converter. But when i connected battery in simulation circuit,my output voltage decreased from 36V to 19.8V. So i could charge only 19.8V battery. Can anyone tell me the reason ?

Charging Li-ion battery is not as usual battery charging system. So you need some extra care. To charge Li-ion, the charger should charge the battery in 3 steps.
1. Pre-charging
2. Constant Current charging
3. Constant Voltage charging.

1. Pre-Charging:
In this mode, battery will be charged with few mA for around 3/4 min.
2. CC Charging:
In this mode battery will be charged in a constant current such as 1A.
3. CV mode:
in this mode, Current is not fixed, but the voltage is.

Charging Li-ion battery is not as usual battery charging system. So you need some extra care. To charge Li-ion, the charger should charge the battery in 3 steps.
1. Pre-charging
2. Constant Current charging
3. Constant Voltage charging.

1. Pre-Charging:
In this mode, battery will be charged with few mA for around 3/4 min.
2. CC Charging:
In this mode battery will be charged in a constant current such as 1A.
3. CV mode:
in this mode, Current is not fixed, but the voltage is.
I am considering charging state from 40% only. So it will start from CC state only. My converter is Super lift luo convereter.

be careful to maintain the battery voltage. it should not exceed the higher limit. a 3.7V battery have a higher limit of 4.2V. Higher limit must be less than +/- 0.02V.

Yes.i adopted a CCCV algorithm which wont overcharge the battery. But my real problem is efficiency of converter has decreased when battery load has connected.Anybody implemented boost converter for battery charging?not only Li-Ion any battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back