Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lenovo Thinkpad x201 whining and screeching with Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

harvie

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
i've got this Thinkpad with Samsung SSD and i hear screeching from it, especially when i do lots of disk IO. I've heard it might be coil whine from circuitry powering the SSD. I may be cleaning it soon, so i thought i might add some capacitor across the sata power on motherboard...

Obviously i didn't make any measurments and i don't even have scope. Can you suggest me some values and capacitor type as rule of thumb for such scenario? (I mean SATA voltages and currents are known, so i just need to alleviate the audible frequencies).

I've been also thinking about puting hotglue on chokes, but they will be probably the ones fully encased in ferrite, so i guess i will not be able to secure the windings in place to limit the noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.