Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Length of microstrip line

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIGER

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys!

I have a problem. I'm designing a patch antenna array. I'm feeding the antenna with a microstrip line with a characteristic impedance of 50ohm.
My problem is that when i increase the length of the microstrip line i have serious oscillations in s11(RL).
Serious meaning that s11 is between -30dB and -55dB.

Is microstrip line acting like this or is it something that i' m doing wrong?

Here's a picture of my design. Im using CST MWS.
adsr32f42f.JPG

Hello,

I am rather new at this myself so take this with a grain of salt. Looking from the Patch to the port, the length of microstrip line is acting as a loaded t-line, with the port impedance as the termination. As the length changes, so does the impedance it presents to the patch. At some lengths the loaded line will present a somewhat better match to the patch impedance causing the return loss to drop.

Hope that helps, maybe someone more experienced can chime in.
-Sami

Reactions: GIGER

GIGER

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi GIGER,

This seems like just a transmission-line (theory) problem. If the impedance changes with the length of the line, then the load is not matched to the line (although -30dB to -55 dB is pretty negligible, in my opinion, therefore you are pretty well matched as is). Does CST calculate the port impedance for the line?

GIGER

For antennas, |S11| values below 0.1 (-20 db) will be usually considered as good matching. In so far I doubt that you see "serious oscillations".

GIGER

If S11 of the antenna is between -30dB and -55dB (or whatever value between) don't touch anything an let as it is.
Probably with "oscillations", actually you want to say "variation of S11 values".

GIGER

If S11 of the antenna is between -30dB and -55dB (or whatever value between) don't touch anything an let as it is.
Probably with "oscillations", actually you want to say "variation of S11 values".

Yeah, thats what i meant.
Thanks guys for all your answers. Greatly appreciated it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back