Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED driver flyback controller IC replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArticCynda

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'd like to fix a burned out driver circuit for a 30W (15 x 2W) LED lamp, photographs of the charred chaos below:

7948100500_1421275773.jpg

6166185500_1421276012.jpg

It appears to be a fairly conventional flyback converter with 4 discrete diodes as rectifier bridge, 400V rated input cap, through hole flyback transformer on top and switching transistor with controller IC on bottom side, and a larger output capacitor.

8050376200_1421276839.jpg

It appears that the switching transistor and controller IC both burned out, and are missing parts of their package.

The part numbers are unreadable, and I am too unexperienced with power electronics to guess them. Could someone suggest a controller IC that might be suitable as replacement? The package is SOIC-8 I believe. And what kind of (N?) switching transistor or MOSFET should I choose?

Any help is more than welcome!

There's no way the controller can be identified without at least deriving the full schematic and deducing the function of each pin. Even then it may be ambiguous. Some parts actually have info silkscreened on the bottom, maybe try looking there?

Also several of the resistors are clearly dead, along with the capacitor above the control IC. I would assume pretty much everything is broken.

@ysba: you have really good eyes, thanks for the datasheet link! This part is really hard to source, may I assume that any 600V N-MOS with a 4A current rating and a compatible pinout can be used?

It's a double layer board so I'll do my best to reverse engineer it back to a schematic.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back