Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laptop GPU overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully Kubillas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
My HP Pavillon DV5000 has an ATI Radeon XPress R480M GPU, that overheats, as it seems the thermal pad does not conduct properly heat to the heatsink. The GPU top surface is metallic and no way to place a cooper shim on it because of short circuit.
I shall appreciate very much any idea to help me fix this issue.

Many thanks,

Sully

By cleaning off any dust buildup, you'll improve air flow to hot components. It is not easy doing so in a laptop.

Overheated laptop computers are a common problem. There are 'chill pads' made for putting under a laptop, to cool it. (They may have Peltier elements, maybe something different.)

As a substitute, you can try making a thin ice pack, or similar.

most of these high performance (hot) components are usually packaged as a flip chip with the bottom of the die (the part with none of the circuitry) bonded to a heat spreader (the metallic top) I don't ever recall see any of those packages having the heat spreader electrically connected to the die just thermally connected.

Status
Not open for further replies.