Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help identifying two components.

StraightView

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, I have a two components looks like a transistors or mosfets or regulators, I searched about it but I couldn't find any information even thou using their part number in research, I measure them using the meter and they seems are not transistors or mosfets, when I measured the 5-1036 it seems that current pass from what suppose to be the base to both collector and emitter, and the current does not pass from the collector to both the base and the emitter, but the current also passes from the emitter to both the base and the collector.

for the 5-1147 current pass from the base to both collector and emitter like a transistor, and the current does not pass from the collector to both the base and the emitter, and for the emitter the current pass only to collector and not to the base.
I'm thinking if they are a regulators but I still not sure about how to measure the regulators.

thanks for any help.

IMG_20230725_145333.jpg

RCA hasn’t been around for 40 years. Same for SGS, which became ST.

Maybe if you provided some information about where these came from, the surrounding circuitry etc., that would help. If you just found these “laying around”, throw them away, unless you really like wasting your time.

RCA hasn’t been around for 40 years. Same for SGS, which became ST.

Maybe if you provided some information about where these came from, the surrounding circuitry etc., that would help. If you just found these “laying around”, throw them away, unless you really like wasting your time.
Nobody says I fond them (laying around) and I'm not using all my time to identify them, If you have something positive to say, say it and it will be appreciated, if not you can be silent it's better.

What Barry is saying is the number on the devices are 'house codes' rather than the generic part number. They may be standard parts that are selected for a particular purpose or have matched gain or sometimes they are just warehouse stock numbers. Without knowing what they are used in, there is no way to cross reference them to their generic numbers.

If we can see the application they were used in it helps us to make an educated guess at what they are. They look to be unsoldered, if you can photograph the board they came from we might be able to tell their original purpose and hence what they might be.

Brian.

What Barry is saying is the number on the devices are 'house codes' rather than the generic part number. They may be standard parts that are selected for a particular purpose or have matched gain or sometimes they are just warehouse stock numbers. Without knowing what they are used in, there is no way to cross reference them to their generic numbers.

If we can see the application they were used in it helps us to make an educated guess at what they are. They look to be unsoldered, if you can photograph the board they came from we might be able to tell their original purpose and hence what they might be.

Brian.

Hi, Brain nice to meet you brother, I have removed these components long time ago from an old German made electronic sewing machine motor, it's the fist generation of electonic motor I believe, it has a big circuit but it has nothing do with controlling speed, the circuit just drive some mechanical in the motor itself like a two electromagnetic cylinders, one for making the flywheel rotate and the other for braking, also it controls some mechanical pieces in the sewing machine like cutting the sewing thread automatically........

I just just searched for the board, it was with a lot of old stuff, the pictures below, but it's not what it was originally installed, I pulled out some parts of it, and the place where the components that I'm trying to identify was installed is in the third picture.
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your help again.

Attachments

• IMG_20230725_214610.jpg
    IMG_20230725_214610.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20230725_214638.jpg
    IMG_20230725_214638.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230725_215038.jpg
    IMG_20230725_215038.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65
Nobody says I fond them (laying around) and I'm not using all my time to identify them, If you have something positive to say, say it and it will be appreciated, if not you can be silent it's better.
I was asking you for some useful information in order to help answer your question, since you provided none.

You can now take your crappy attitude and your old, useless chips and leave.

The picture doesn't help much I'm afraid but it does give some clues. The board seems to date back to 1985 which means triac devices are unlikely and the lack of special drivers for triacs also confirms that. There are no current boosting drivers for the devices either so my guess is they are ordinary NPN or PNP power transistors, possibly darlington ones but exact part numbers would be impossible to trace.

Some of the other components have house codes too, particularly the 40-pin IC in the bottom right of the first picture. It will be a microprocessor with program stored in the 2716 EPROM beside it. In 1985 that would probably mean its really a Z80, other MCUs of that vintage needed support ICs around them that don't seem to be there.

I'm not sure if you just want to know what they are for future use or are trying to repair the machine. I would suggest you buy a cheap component analyzer from one of the Chinese outlets. They cost very little and if you fit the transistors to their sockets it will try voltages in different combinations and tell you what kind of transistors they are. It won't be able to tell you an exact part number but it will identify if they are NPN, PNP and tell you gain and leakage measurements.

Brian.

Brian.
Hi Brian, This circuit has been broken since I got the motor, I have converted it to a completely mechanical one for another purpose in which I do not need those electronic system. As for the circuit, I do not try to fix it and I do not need it, I removed some components from it, including these on the picture, and I kept them with other parts that I might use them in the future, I just remembered them now so I'm trying to identify them, actually as you said they might be transistors, I tried them in before and they worked as transistors work, but I only used a LED in the experiment, and I didn't want to use them in serious circuits or with a high voltage so as not to cause a problem in the circuit as long as I am not 100% sure of their identification.
--- Updated ---

I was asking you for some useful information in order to help answer your question, since you provided none.

You can now take your crappy attitude and your old, useless chips and leave.

(Provided no information)! First, I have posted a clear picture of the components, second, I have mentioned the measurement I did in details,
Third, you are talking like I'm in your house!.
look dude, you have to remember that in the web you are talking with different people from different nations and places, in my nation where I come from your way of your response is considered running your mouth, because you don't know me, I don't know you and this is the first time we talked, and first you didn't give any help and yet you said (I found them lying in ground, and I'm wasting my time)!!, this words has nothing to do with the topic, it's a worthless words according to the topic, we are here in serious Forum so stick to the topic or don't engage in it, you are free.
Also how can someone think that trying to identify an electronic components is a waste of time??!!, come on dude, you are better than this.
take care.

Last edited:
Hi,

What an attitude!

Sometimes one first needs good information ... before one can give good advice. I have experienced this many times here.

You correctly say that in this international forum there are different people from different nations. Yes - follow this, be tolerant, accept that others behave differently. I see nothing rude, nothing emotional, nothing offensive in barry´s post.
The only one rude here is you.

There is giving and taking in a forum. You are the one who takes, all the others spend their time and informations for you. Thus it shouldn´t be asking too much to be thankful ... at least neutral, if it´s not the answer you expected.

No one said "you had had them laying around". Barry clearly wrote "IF .." which means he does not know. Its a conditional sentence. It could be, but it also could not be.
When someone says "If the snow is yellow, you probably should not eat it". .. does not mean all snow is yellow. It could be yellow, it could be white, it could be any other color.

You are right, this is a serious technical forum. Not an emotional forum. So keep your emotions at home - they don´t belong here.

Also how can someone think that trying to identify an electronic components is a waste of time??
You are free to have your thoughts, so let others have the same right and let them have their own thoughts, too. Equality!

Klaus

Hi,

What an attitude!

Sometimes one first needs good information ... before one can give good advice. I have experienced this many times here.

You correctly say that in this international forum there are different people from different nations. Yes - follow this, be tolerant, accept that others behave differently. I see nothing rude, nothing emotional, nothing offensive in barry´s post.
The only one rude here is you.

There is giving and taking in a forum. You are the one who takes, all the others spend their time and informations for you. Thus it shouldn´t be asking too much to be thankful ... at least neutral, if it´s not the answer you expected.

No one said "you had had them laying around". Barry clearly wrote "IF .." which means he does not know. Its a conditional sentence. It could be, but it also could not be.
When someone says "If the snow is yellow, you probably should not eat it". .. does not mean all snow is yellow. It could be yellow, it could be white, it could be any other color.

You are right, this is a serious technical forum. Not an emotional forum. So keep your emotions at home - they don´t belong here.

You are free to have your thoughts, so let others have the same right and let them have their own thoughts, too. Equality!

Klaus

look dude, you are not who teaches me morality and how I behave, you don't know me, I just recently have talked several times with you, so did I told you any bad word or disrespected you?!! tell me, but now you seem forget it pretty fast, that says a lot. Everything is clear you are just arguing, I'm very respectful person, you don't have any idea, and I thank and appreciate from the heat not just talk anyone trying to help, but like I have said, anyone from where I come from will understand his response as (running his mouth) because he used words that has nothing to do with the topic also it can easily understood as running mouth when you talk with someone you don't know for the first time, so as adults people we should avoid using words that has nothing to do with the topic especially negative words,
the topic is about identification of components, (not about components found lying around or if this is a waste of time or not), also how you can say to someone you meet the first time that he's wasting his time without even knowing what's the reason behind him searching to identify these components?! and it's not even a right statement, how in the right mind that trying to identify a component is a waste of time?!!, he can so easily say that (we need to see the board where the components was installed to figure out how these components works) it's simple, and we avoid all this talks.

I'm in this forum with all respect and to learn, share experiences..... (but our friend said I'm wasting my time),
I didn't come here to disrespect anyone or insult anyone, and I'm not in your house to tell me to leave, also I'm not counting on you dude, the forum owners who can tell me that, and if they did I will leave with absolutely no problem and I thank them for these experiences and the helps they provide for people by this forum.

Hi,

respectfully, I´m a moderator here, and thus it´s my job to keep the forum clean. You can behave like you want, but not here in this forum!
You say "you don´t know ne". True. And that´s a good thing for a moderator. I don´t know any of the 600.000 members here, the less I know them the more objective, the more equally I can treat them.

As a modertor it´s my job to remind you how to behave here. I`m not teaching you, but I have to tell you about forum rules and netiquette. Indeed - if you read my post - I just wanted you to behave the same as you expect others to behave.
If you don´t comply with the rules here then you have to leave. It´s your decision. You´re a couple of days here, but cause more problem than any other.

You see negative words, where others don´t see. Like you say "here, where I come from", is not the same as "the whole world". It´s your view, and not an objective, not a tolerant view! In an international forum you have to expect people talking in different ways and using different words. I am raised to to say my words in an honest way without sugar coating. Other people are raised differently, thus it´s quite normal that people treat posts differently. The point is: "focus on technical communication".

I can´t see that you treat all persons with respect. You don´t need to be extremely friendly, but again; keep your feelings and emotions away from forum posts. If one post does not provide the answer you expect .. you can not treat it as an assault. Just ignore it!
You expect everyone to "avoid negative words", but you allow yourself to use the same. This is not equal treatment. And that´s a problem for me as a moderator. You have to stop this, or leave.

Everybody has the right here to say "it´s a waste of time", because it just expresses his personal opinion. You are allowed to see it as useful to spend your time in finding out what these components are, and others have the same right to find it as a waste of time. Same rights for everybody. There is nothing bad in such an opinion.
We live in different regions. I have a box of about 10kg laying around with all electronics and other components, like ICs, resistors, heatsinks, datasheets, screws, cables .... It´s a waste of time for me to use them. So if you are interested in these things I´m willing to send them to you.

Klaus

Hi,

respectfully, I´m a moderator here, and thus it´s my job to keep the forum clean. You can behave like you want, but not here in this forum!
You say "you don´t know ne". True. And that´s a good thing for a moderator. I don´t know any of the 600.000 members here, the less I know them the more objective, the more equally I can treat them.

As a modertor it´s my job to remind you how to behave here. I`m not teaching you, but I have to tell you about forum rules and netiquette. Indeed - if you read my post - I just wanted you to behave the same as you expect others to behave.
If you don´t comply with the rules here then you have to leave. It´s your decision. You´re a couple of days here, but cause more problem than any other.

You see negative words, where others don´t see. Like you say "here, where I come from", is not the same as "the whole world". It´s your view, and not an objective, not a tolerant view! In an international forum you have to expect people talking in different ways and using different words. I am raised to to say my words in an honest way without sugar coating. Other people are raised differently, thus it´s quite normal that people treat posts differently. The point is: "focus on technical communication".

I can´t see that you treat all persons with respect. You don´t need to be extremely friendly, but again; keep your feelings and emotions away from forum posts. If one post does not provide the answer you expect .. you can not treat it as an assault. Just ignore it!
You expect everyone to "avoid negative words", but you allow yourself to use the same. This is not equal treatment. And that´s a problem for me as a moderator. You have to stop this, or leave.

Everybody has the right here to say "it´s a waste of time", because it just expresses his personal opinion. You are allowed to see it as useful to spend your time in finding out what these components are, and others have the same right to find it as a waste of time. Same rights for everybody. There is nothing bad in such an opinion.
We live in different regions. I have a box of about 10kg laying around with all electronics and other components, like ICs, resistors, heatsinks, datasheets, screws, cables .... It´s a waste of time for me to use them. So if you are interested in these things I´m willing to send them to you.

Klaus
Hi, dude.
(to keep the forum clean) great.
I have asked you a simple question you didn't answer my : I have spoken with several members many times in my previous post, including you, so tell me, Did I say any rude word to you or to anyone else from the members I spoke with?! Show me just one rude word.

By the way, you are the one who makes this matter bigger than its size, and you are the one who makes it related to emotions and feelings, not me.
Since you say there is nothing wrong with someone saying (you are wasting time, you find them laying around.....) and this is an expression of his own opinion, and members are free to express their personal opinion, then my response to him was also expression of my personal opinion! what's so wrong and rude about my respond to him?! I have said to him (if you have something positive to say, say it if not you can be silent it's better), what so wrong about it?! I'm too expressing my personal opinion, isn't?! you said that there's people which saying (you are wasting your time to people they don't know) it's normal and expression opinion, we also, where I come from my response to him is normal is an expression opinion,
if you think my response to him is rude, I also believe that his response to me is rude,
if you are saying that you believe that everybody in the forum has the right to say their personal opinions so I'm too saying my personal opinion when I responded to him, what the big deal about my response?!! is you who are making it about emotions and feelings, he responded to me and I responded to him and I have moved on, I'm an adult and he's too I believe.

you have to remind yourself that I didn't break any rules or the forum rules, I didn't insult him, I didn't mock him, I didn't bulled him, I didn't talk about his family, beliefs, race, color, country, his personal life.....,
if you start to talk to someone you don't know in street in real life and he respond to you by saying (stop talking to me, or if you have something positive to say, say it if not you can be silent it's better) then there is no problem, it's his right, he wouldn't break any rules, you can think of it as rude but in the end of day it's his right, isn't?! otherwise we will enter to double standards, like it has spread in social medias.
by the way, I'm sure that you have saw my interactions with the member (fvM), so imagine, that was my first post in this forum and the first respond to my post was (fvM) he didn't give absolutely no help instead he said to me (it's over my head, meaning that the smps circuit it's over my head)!! when he supposed to be helping members!! so my question : why you didn't say to him that he's rude?! or do you also brelieve that saying to someone you talk to the first time that (the circuit is over his head) does this also normal, nothing wrong about it, it's expression personal opinion?!!, if yes then why we are even talking about my response to Barry?!!, what is more rude? saying to someone (if you have something positive to say, say it if not you can be silent, it's better), or saying to someone you spoke to the first time when he's trying to solve a circuit problem (the circuit is over your head) without giving any advise, help solving the circuit problem, saying that without including a context with it, is absolutely an insult, it means that (you are dumb to make this circuit) or (your brain is not capable of making this circuit), and the funny thing is, I'm sure that (fvM) has some ideas about the problem that I was facing back then with smps circuit but he didn't give any help instead telling me (it's over my head)! and I didn't even respond to him in a rude way, you can go to my first post and check my response, so isn't that funny?! and I'm not upset that some members didn't give helps, I'm an adult man, everybody is free to help or not, but responding to someone without giving any help instead saying (the circuit is over his head) is so wrong, dude, but somehow you didn't say to him that he was rude even thou I'm sure that you have saw his response to my, instead you jump up to me accusing me being rude, unless if you think that his response was nothing wrong with it, it's expression of his personal opinion but my response is not and it's rude!!!.

Look, he responded to my and I responded to him, he thinks I'm rude and I think he's rude, we are adults and move on, but the problem is, we see throughout the social medias people saying what they want (it's their freedom of expression) but when someone replied to them they complain, they forget quickly freedom of expression and it becomes rude!!.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: