Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Known facts but unknwon DETAILS-->Analog versus Digital filters in Circuit level...

Status
Not open for further replies.

manimail2007

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Known facts but unknwon DETAILS-->Analog versus Digital filters in Circuit level...

Dear techies...

I have concepts wise doubt in both analogue and digital circuit long time,kindly clarify my doubts...

1.what is the advantage of analog filter over digital filter? (usually all are discussing something about viceversa,but analog also have some advantages)

2.Is there any resistor elements in any digital circuits?(i am asking physical resistor components not some thing resistance contributed by RC extraction or vias..)

3.how is the internal structure of digital filter both FIR and IIR look like?(I need transistor level not block level ,since all DSPs are made by VLSI technology,hence it should have billions of transistors!!! )

hope i posted my questions in right forum...answers are greatly appreciated.....:-D... i am eagerly waiting for your feed..thank you...

Re: Known facts but unknwon DETAILS-->Analog versus Digital filters in Circuit level.

1. Analog filters are continuous in time and amplitude.
2. Yes, in some digital technologies. Most bipolar and some MOS.
3. Consider registers (FFs) and logic gates as low level building blocks of digital circuits. Although you can further break it down into transistor level, it's irrelevant for the logical function. If you are designing logic ICs, e.g. ASICs you'll know about the implementation details. You also find them in digital logic design text books. Counting a transistor total is nevertheless possible. You can expect up to several millions (even 10 or 100) in recent logic ICs.

Re: Known facts but unknwon DETAILS-->Analog versus Digital filters in Circuit level.

In order to decide between analog and digital filters you should take into consideration that in many applications digital filtering requires in addition some analog filtering in front as well as at the output of the digital filter cicuit. The decision strongly depends on the particular application and the corresponding requirements (technology, operational).

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

1. Analog filters are continuous in time and amplitude.
2. Yes, in some digital technologies. Most bipolar and some MOS.
3. Consider registers (FFs) and logic gates as low level building blocks of digital circuits. Although you can further break it down into transistor level, it's irrelevant for the logical function. If you are designing logic ICs, e.g. ASICs you'll know about the implementation details. You also find them in digital logic design text books. Counting a transistor total is nevertheless possible. You can expect up to several millions (even 10 or 100) in recent logic ICs.

Thanks FvM for the quick response and valuable points.
1.could you give me some ideas regarding the advantages of analogue filter over digital filter in terms of filter parameters like role off rate,order of the filter and design complexity etc..?
2.suggest any book to get thorough knowledge regarding RTL,TTL and other logic families.
3.Yes its fine milions of transistors would be present inside any paricular logic design in digital ic's.functional level its not neccessary to bother about all the stuffs in hardware most of the digital books are dealt with this functional level only.but none is dealing digital filters in transistor level,any idea about this?

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

thanks LvM...could you people post some transistor level digital and analog filters? that will make the concept clear :)

The transistor level implementatio a of digital filters is almost irrevelant for it's functionality. The transistor level looks identical to other logical and arithmetical digital designs. You need to understand the design principles of digital filters and basic methods to describe time discrete signal processing systems like z-transformation. For a brief review of digital filter designs see Digital filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The transistor level implementatio a of digital filters is almost irrevelant for it's functionality. The transistor level looks identical to other logical and arithmetical digital designs. You need to understand the design principles of digital filters and basic methods to describe time discrete signal processing systems like z-transformation. For a brief review of digital filter designs see Digital filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes thanks for continuous response.i will go through that link and books..:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back