Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Keep getting warnings that I/O is never used

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjplaw

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm trying to synthesize my code which is a hardware wrapper between two other VHDL source codes but I keep getting the following warning:

Input /Output<input/output_name> is never used. This port will be preserved and left unconnected if it belongs to a top-level block or it belongs to a sub-block and the hierarchy of this sub-block is preserved.

I believe it is caused by the way i coded my processes. One example is shown below. The full source code can be downloaded here
**broken link removed**

process (DMA_SEL,DMA_RENi,DMA_WENi,clk)
begin
if DMA_SEL = x"0" then
input_1_en <= DMA_RENi;
else input_1_en <= 'Z';
end if;

if DMA_SEL = x"1" then
input_2_en <= DMA_RENi;
else input_2_en <= 'Z';
end if;

if DMA_SEL = x"2" then
input_3_en <= DMA_RENi;
else input_3_en <= 'Z';
end if;

if DMA_SEL = x"0" then
output_1_en <= DMA_WENi;
else output_1_en <= 'Z';
end if;

if DMA_SEL = x"1" then
output_2_en <= DMA_WENi;
else output_2_en <= 'Z';
end if;
end process;

I've tried seperating all the if-endif into different process but it still showed the same issue.

Can someone guide me on how should i solve this issue?

The hardware wrapper connects a DMA controller and a component with 3 inputs and 2 outputs. The DMA controller will read or write into the I/Os from/to a inout bus depending on the DMA channel selected and DMA direction.

DMA channel 0 - input 1, output 1
DMA channel 1 - input 2, output 2
DMA channel 2 - input 3

Hi,
If u bring any port in to a module(input) and if u are not used inside that module u will get these warnings.

ex
a: in std_logic;
b: in std_logic;
c:eek:ut std_logic;

c<= b;

here "a" is not used so u will get above warnings..

Remove port a then u can avoid the warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back