Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IV characteristic of PIN diodes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

alucard

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi need help in this :cry: how do i get the IV characteristic of a zero bias PIN diode?:cry:

Hi

I do not think I understand.....you want the I-V characteristic whith no bias!!!
Usually you apply bias to get this.
It is usually exponential.

regards

Hi there,
Thx for replying, is the biasing voltage written on the datasheet?
And to get the IV characteristic should the circuit be as the image and i calculate Vd and Id to get the plot? Whereby value of resistor across don't matter??:|

Hi

Yes in principle you can use the circuit you have shown and you do not need the resistor. Just an ampere meter to measure the current and then by changing the voltage you can read the current through the diode.

The PIN diode has a very small resistance, but as you increase the voltage you will see the current is very small untill you reach the thredshold voltage (0.5-0.7V depending on diode type). The current will be very large, because the diode behaves almost as a short. It is only when the current becomes large enough that that it begins to saturate. You will see an exponential curve, but you should plot it Vd vs. Id with Id in logarithmic scale.

Regards

alucard

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think there is a maximum voltage that you must not exceed otherwise the diode will burn!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back