Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Issues with TPS2811 MOSFET Driver for IRF530 in Buck SMPS Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc9460

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm trying to build a smps but want to simulate it on multisim first before I buy all the components. The buck has a 6.3V dc input and will have a 5V dc output at 2 amps. I've designed a buck converter and it seems to work when I supply 12V dc with 400kHZ at 83% duty cycle into the gate of the mosfet. I'm trying to get my design with a gate driver but it doesn't seem to work. I put VCC at 12 and put 5V dc at the input (I'm planning on using a microcontroller). For some reason it's not working! I don't have to use a microcontroller but would need some feedback circuitry. Buck.JPG

High side switch should be P type unless boost V is available... such as Cap diode boost from PWM on lower side of synchronous totem pole output to bias upper switch.

Where are your results? Note Vgs

These are the results I'm getting. Is there a gate driver in multisim that will work for my buck converter ckt? I was planning on using the 5v dc output from a microcontroller to do the pwm for the circuit. It works at 12V and I was looking into using a gate driver to help accomplish all this. Thanks for the help.results.JPG

Does the mosfet turn on to the same degree (conduct the same amount of Amperes) whether you apply 5V or 12V at the gate?

It may help if you try a transistor for the switching device instead of the mosfet.

Does the mosfet turn on to the same degree (conduct the same amount of Amperes) whether you apply 5V or 12V at the gate?

It may help if you try a transistor for the switching device instead of the mosfet.

If I apply 5v to the gate it doesn't conduct the same amount of current versus 12v which would give me my desired 2amps.

Is there a specific type of transistor that I should use to do my switching? Something preferably on multisim. Would it work if I used a microcontroller as the pwm? I.e is the 5v output from the microcontroller too much for the transistor? Is there any downside to using a transistor versus a mosfet? This is a power supply that I need to build and use for a project.

Hi,

To see your signal on the scope you might connect scope input A- to Gnd.

Connect B+ to the output of the FET and B- to Gnd.

Actually you should look for a driver that is able to drive a high side N ch FET. It needs the bootstrap circuit.

Klaus

A look at TPS2811 datasheet reveals a reason why your circuit can't work. The device doesn't perform the intended level translation, it can't be driven by 5V logic when supplied with 12V. Choose a different gate driver circuit.

Secondly, driving a floating NMOS transistor by a ground referred gate driver isn't a good idea. It can work under restricted conditions, e.g. the input voltage must not be higher than 6.5V, the transistor doesn't have a threshold voltage in the upper range of type variation. Better use a logic level MOSFET (e.g. Vth = 2.5V) or a bootstrap gate driver.

As above, there is no proper return path for the gate drive in the N type mosfet, g - s. A P type with drive suitably inverted would work better...

A level shifting gate driver is required by topology of the buck converter. Also the previously suggested PMOSFET needs some kind of level conversion.

Is there a way to replace the mosfet with a transistor instead and that would still be called a smps, correct? I would like to possibly still control it with a microntroller unless something else is easiest. Is there a downside to using a transistor versus a mosfet? Will it still output the consistent 5v dc that I need?

Hi,

A bjt could be faster or slower, select the right one.
A MOSFET usually has lower voltage drop and therefore lower power loss.
A MOSFET need low DC gate current, but for fast switching it needs a lot of peak current.

You will find that even with a bjt you need a base drive circuit. So it is almost the same effort than just choosing a gate driver IC for a MOSFET. I'd prefer the MOSFET.

The most easiest and reliable solution is to go to a manufacturer homepage (ti, linear, st, national...) and select a 8 pin step down switch mode IC with built in FET.

Klaus

Is there any ic's available that will do feedback and adjust the pwm duty cycle so the output voltage stays at 5v dc? I will need to do some sort of feedback system.

Hi,

Is there any ic's available that will do feedback and adjust the pwm duty cycle so the output voltage stays at 5v dc?
--> Thousands i think. At least hundreds.

I have given you manufacturer names to look at. Did you do this?

Here an example.
Got to linear.com (Other manufacturers are compareable)
Select the device:
Buck.jpg

then fill your data into the page:
Buck2.jpg

and find 66 parts that meets your specification.

Klaus

Provided as is, an example of a buck converter based on classical 3524 switch-mode controller.

buck.png

Hi,

if you need low part count, then a LT1374-5 needs 8 parts and delivers up to 4.5A.

For mass production it may be too expensive. For a single project it may be ok.

There are a lot of switchers. National´s simple switchers for example.

Klaus

A look at TPS2811 datasheet reveals a reason why your circuit can't work. The device doesn't perform the intended level translation, it can't be driven by 5V logic when supplied with 12V. Choose a different gate driver circuit.

Secondly, driving a floating NMOS transistor by a ground referred gate driver isn't a good idea. It can work under restricted conditions, e.g. the input voltage must not be higher than 6.5V, the transistor doesn't have a threshold voltage in the upper range of type variation. Better use a logic level MOSFET (e.g. Vth = 2.5V) or a bootstrap gate driver.

This is something that has befuddled me for a while. By what term is a simple high side NMOS FET driver known? Whenever I go searching for them, I find devices that are heavily integrated (IE they do UVLO, OVLO, Current limiting) and are thus more expensive and complex than what I want. What do you look for when you are looking for a simple NMOS gate driver for a situation like above, assuming I wanted to go the the immense trouble of designing the feedback loop with an MCU. :)

The drivers are called high-side gate drivers. Single channel drivers without low-side driver are avialable e.g. from IRF or Fairchildsemi. You can also use standard half-bridge drivers like IR2110 with unconnected low side channel.

Due to the bootstrap operation principle, there are some operation restrictions regarding duty cycle and start-up to observe.

Would a pwm controller ic and a gate driver ic be what I would need to do the pwm for my smps? Would the pwm controller adjust so that my output is a constant 5v dc?

Hi,

We give informations on partnumbers. Look at at least one of the datasheets found via the linear selection guide.

Please read it - or at least look at the pictures - then you will find out, that there is no need for external drivers nor external FETs. All inside.

As i wrote: 8 parts in total.
How can I say it more clearly? No need to generate a PWM. PWM controller with regulation loop inside. Constant 5V output voltage.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.