Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is Verilog very different from VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

makanaky

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

So I am asking if I am very good at VHDL and know nothing about Verilog , will I need a lot of time and effort to learn Verilog or will it be a smooth drill to do ?

Verilog syntactically has many similarities to that of the C programming language. Therefore, if you are familiar with the C programming language many of the structures and other syntax of Verilog can be easily learned.

However, it should be remembered, just as VHDL is concurrent hardware design language, so is Verilog. Do not fall into the common trap of assuming the program execution flow of the C language and the concurrent characteristics of Verilog are similar, they are not.

You might find the Verilog HDL Group of interest.

Also the following texts as introductions to Verilog are quite good:

The following text takes a more practical approach to Verilog, concentrating on synthesizable aspects.

FPGA Prototyping By Verilog Examples: Xilinx Spartan-3 Version

The following text covers the various syntactical aspects of Verilog and is handy as a language reference and well as an intro.

Verilog HDL (paperback) (2nd Edition)

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:
If "very good at VHDL" means you understand the principles of HDL design and know how to apply it, then it will be easy.

If you know VHDL it will be easy to move to verilog, but moving back might be little tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back