Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is variac rated to supply 16Arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Not sure if the attached variac is rated to be able to supply my RSP-1500-27 Meanwell PSU at 100VAC....(13.2A rms input current)...this is from a 240VAC mains into the variac.
But the mains current looks pretty sinusoidal (as attached) so it should be ok?

Used a tektronix A6303 current probe to get mains current waveform at input to PSU.

Attachments

• 100VAC 24V 50A_.jpg
    100VAC 24V 50A_.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 120
  • CAROLL AND MEYNELL.jpg
    CAROLL AND MEYNELL.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 114

Hi,

I can't read the variac's plate.... what does it say?

If the variac is rated for 16A RMS, then you may draw 16A RMS, independent of waveform.
(Assuming standard ambient temperature and airflow).

Klaus

Thanks,, the variac has no plate saying anything about rating. It doesnt even have a part number.

Thanks,, the variac has no plate saying anything about rating.
Don't hesitate to show a readable photo of the seemingly useless information on the transformer top though...
--- Updated ---

But the mains current looks pretty sinusoidal (as attached) so it should be ok?
Unfortunately the sine waveform tells nothing about sufficient rating.

While being an inexact strategy, I would compare the weight of this Variac with others of similar and different ratings, and I'd bet you would find a way to infer an approximate value for the nominal current, there is no intricate science on the design of these magnetic parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.