Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this possible to repair? (flash memory chip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTI_16V

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. I have got a device which didnt wan't to turn on, and i found a problem. When I took this chip out of board it turns on, but only on start screen. And then restarts after some time. This looks like some kind of memory chip, maybe flash? But i can not find anything on the internet about it. I assume that it is pre-programmed? If so, is it possible somehow to purchase a new one and extract data from one that is working ok, and program new one? I don't have much knowledge in this specific area :(.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_202716.jpg
    IMG_20201107_202716.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 207

Omg, i have read about extracting the data and it looks like a science fiction to me...

You also need a special connector, it looks to be a BGA package. The actual programming isn't as complicated as it looks, most of it is repeated 'write enable, address, data' sequences.

As you have managed to remove the IC, do you have facilities to refit a new one to the board?

Brian.

This one on the picture is fried. But I have a same device that is working ok, i could teoretically take off the same chip. So i would extract data from that one and copy it to a new one (blank). I don't need to know what is in there, i am interested only in "copy paste" I can handle hardware, but when i started reading about programming, linux, beagle bone black etc. my head started to hurt :D. And who knows is the data locked somehow? It is from boat chartplotter

Is this possible to repair? (flash memory chip)

Since the IC is a BGA type, it would be extremely hard to align the new chip to the ball grids on the PCB.
It would be too easy to short between the balls and the PCB pads.
Regards,
Relayer

I found some usefull info regarding the extraction and programming of flash memory chips. The tool that electronic repair shops mostly use is RT809-H programmer with adater for 153/169 BGA chips. It is for eMMC, can it be used in this case if this chip is MLC as Zasto wrote?

Status
Not open for further replies.