Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this Embedded System design of a Data Logger Sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.Duke

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a design i have composed for tracking the acceleration and direction of travel of a moving car.
I was hoping to get some input for improvements or possible faults.

schematiuc.png
A 3.7V 18350 or 18650 provides the power to the lm2623 switching boost regulator to provide 5V for the micro the gps and the accelerometer.
A low drop out regulator takes this 5V and drops it to 3.3V for the SD card.
The sd card has a voltage divider on it to interface it with 3.3V from the 5V output of the micro.

The gps module and accelerometer are use for tracking acceleration and direction of travel.

I did consider a magnetometer but i felt that GPS was better, i would certainly be keen to hear peoples opinions on alternative methods of determining heading.

I am hoping to use the RTC from the GPS to timestamp the collected data and store it in the SD card.

The accelerometer has a buffered output to enable its interfacing with the ADC of the PIC.
The GPS module uses UART to interface the PIC while the SD card operates in SPI mode.

I will do some sums to determine the battery life from a decent cell, but i need to ensure more than ten hours operation with a recording frequency of 10s.

I guess i could get better power efficiency with a magnetometer over the gps as i wouldn't need to keep the module active constantly to maintain a frequency of 0.1Hz for heading acquisition.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

I am now thinking that i will need a magnetometer given that i have just realised heading and course are fundamentally different things to track.

You should inform what are the main requirements and constraints of this project, namely cost, features, etc...

Anyway, I think that you should consider to use a dedicated RTC instead of occasionally synchronize an internal timer of the uC. Let suppose a condition on what the vehicle is parked for long inside a place where GPS signal is not strong enough.

Another cheap device that for some particulars occasions could give you a useful information would be a I2C/SPI thermometer.

Finally, just to aid some field servicing or runtime debug could utilize the remaining USART, and for onboard programming, an ICSP connector could be added.

I have very few requirement specifications.
The device must be portable, battery powered and last for 10 + hours taking a record of acceleration and heading every 10 seconds and storing this in an appropriately sized memory location.
I have added the magnetometer and may add an RTC as you suggested, for extra redundancy.

The GPS is becoming less and less useful than i first believed haha.

I may keep it, but just to add additional functionality to the device.

I understand you want to use a PIC processor. Then save yourself a lot of troubles interfacing to the SD card by using a PIC that's running at the same 3V voltage. The many voltage divider schematics you find on the internet don't work for the PIC. The PIC has a schmitt trigger SPI input and requires 0.8 * Vdd for input high voltage.
0.8 * 5V = 4V
The 3.3V from the SD card isn't high enough.
These schematics are for other processors like the Atmel's which have a TTL level SPI input.

GPS is nice but draws a lot of energy, for 10+ hours and a sample every 10seconds you'll need larger batteries.

Buy mikroElektronika's Clicker2 for PIC18FJ, RTC2 Click, Li-po battery, GPS2 Click, mikroBus Shield, Accelero Click, mikroSD Click and make your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back