Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this Class D amplifier powered by an SMPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

The Amplifier Head unit that you see from 10 seconds onward (sitting on top of the speaker) on this video weighs 22 pounds, and is 100W (it contains a Class D amplifier...but is it likely to contain an SMPS or a mains transformer to supply the Class D amplifier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X2pDxPrxDc&feature=related

Its a Blackstar ID:100TVP amplifier for guitar.

**broken link removed**

Maybe you can post this also in the comment field of the youtube video. If there is an smps inside, the electronics (that is power supply with class D amp) should be well below 22 pounds (4 pounds?) What you don't know is the weight of the casing and other provisions to make it a rugged PA.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello treez,

I think it's a normal analog transistor amp with BJT or Mosfets and some sound processors inside.

Regards

Rainer

T

rfredel:
When you say "normal transistor amp" do you mean "Class D" amplifier?
...this amplifier is rich in features, and i think that this needs a class d amplifier....not just any normal class AB type amplifier?

I see no reason for the need of a class D final amplifier to get rich features. features such as emulating certain valve behavior is done at small signal level. If you made your "class D" assumption on rich features, I would recommend you to reconsider your assumption.

T

Hello treez,

I have ask the distributor here in Germany. It is a normal Class "B" amplifier. All features are made by a soundprocessor. With a little bit work you can change the final amp to class "AB" with a loss of power.

Class "D" amps will be use, if you need high power with low supply voltage, like car amps or for PA. It works with PWM and needs a filter network in the output. If this will works real good, the network is not easy to create.

Regards

Rainer

Reactions: WimRFP and treez

T

WimRFP

Status
Not open for further replies.