Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this circuit board workable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginner123

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there

Im hoping to replace this cracked capacitor that looks blown but noticed that the board is peeling.

If I replace the capacitor, do you think the circuit will work properly? Also, can I work on the board (with the power off) while it's still mounted or do I have to unscrew the entire board?

Also any tips on replacing the capacitor would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 79

The black part is more likely a current limiting PTC or maybe a VDR overvoltage suppressor than a capacitor. To be sure, you have to analyse the circuit. If the main current path is through the part, it's a PTC.

The degree of PCB damage can't be well seen on the photo (the said "peeling"), so it's to difficult to say if the board can be reworked. Most likely yes.

The 'peeling' looks like conformal coating or some kind of lacquer to keep moisture out. It shouldn't make any difference to performance and can easily be cleaned up then sprayed over again.

I agree with FvM, that isn't a capacitor its some thermal device, most likely a PTC thermistor. It looks like some kind of power supply so it is probably a current limiter.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back