[SOLVED] Is this a trimmer capacitor? Which is it's pinout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWerner

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, I'm new into the world of electronics. I'm now trying to make a small variable FM Transmitter, which for the tuning uses a trimmer capacitor. The problem is, that in the place where I live there aren't any of those. And my only option before buying some online, is to reuse them from any type of electrical device that I may have. I've teared down an old (5 years) radio, in which I found the component that you can see, it could possibly be a trigger capacitor, because it doesn't seem a potentiometer at all, and it has a yellow mark (there were others with red marks).
If it finally is a variable/trimmer capacitor, could you help me out saying me which is it's pinout. Because it doesn't look like the third image capacitor at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe it's a transformer or inductor with a trimming adjustment. Schematics and pcb's label them as such. I too have a number of these which I scavenged from radios. The metal box is shielding, typically needed with magnetic components.

Your image below is of a IF Tuned Transformer:

View attachment 128093

I believe the yellow adjustment cap indicates a 455 kHz center frequency, although I maybe incorrect it's been a while.

I suspect the device on the underside between the pins is a capacitor.

See the attached datasheet.

Attachments

• XC-600131-205883.pdf
    62 KB · Views: 109

As said in previous posts:

The first two photos correspond to a tuneable IF transformer (455 or 465 kHz) normally used in broadcasting radios.
The complete set for AM radios (like Spica) had 4 pieces: oscillator coil (red core) and three IF transformers (yellow, white, and black or grey cores respectively).

The last photo shows trimmer capacitors.

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.